We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary review please

Virginia
Level Contributor
208 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary review please

My family is driving to NYC the Friday morning after Thanksgiving from the DC area. We are staying at the Hampton Inn, Chelsea on Friday night. Saturday mid-day we are seeing the Christmas Spectacular. Here are initial plans:

Arrive at hotel around 1-2PM on Friday. Will traffic be terrible in the city that day (late morning)?

Check-into hotel

Subway to mid-town to do the Holiday window display walking tour. Dinner somewhere along the way.

End near Rockefeller Center to see the tree.

Subway back to hotel.

Next morning, tour around Chelsea area (market?)

Check out of hotel (leave car in parking garage)

Subway to Radio City area.

Christmas Spectacular show (11:30)

Lunch near Radio City

Subway back to parking garage.

Drive back to DC.

Does anyone see any problems with my plans?

Anything I could add given our limited time in the city (we are mainly coming to see the show)?

TIA!

UMTerp

Indiana
Level Contributor
122 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary review please

What is the holiday window display walking tour?

Sorry that I can't help you...I'm just figuring things out myself!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary review please

Will traffic be terrible that day? Absolutely awful.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary review please

This Friday is a BIG shopping day, but many people shop out of town, and many people will not be working or actually visiting relatives out of town. The Parade will be over, and those streets people were avoiding will be opened back up. Long story short - it will probably be busy by most standards but for locals in Manhattan there will be A little less traffic than our usual business day, but a bit busier than the usual weekend day.

I'm not sure if you are doing the "windows tour" on your own, but 5th ave around Rockefeller Plaza has a lot of good windows (all the way up to central park south -59th St.) and of course there is Macy's at Herald Square.

For food after shopping or Radio City this place is really good and it is the Trump International Hotel at Columbus Circle with a view of Central Park:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d42…

Also for the other day (after shopping or the Rockettes) you should consider the Rock Center Cafe. It has aview of the ice skating Rink and give off a very nice holiday vibe.

Edited: 21 October 2010, 03:15
Virginia
Level Contributor
208 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary review please

Thanks everyone!

Yes, we are doing the window walking tour on our own. I got a link to the map by reading the things to do list here on TA.

"Will traffic be terrible that day? Absolutely awful." Does this mean that we should allow an extra hour or more to get into the city and to our hotel that day?

MTI-n-NYC - thanks for the suggestions and help!

UMTerp

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary review please

I don't think the traffic right in the city will be bad-- many people take that day off but the ride up from DC could be brutal as people head home after visiting relatives-- I would allow at least another hour for your trip over normal.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,075 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary review please

Is there a reason you're driving instead of taking the excellent public transportation from DC? You're not going to use the car while you're here, so it seems like a waste of time in traffic and money to bring it.

Virginia
Level Contributor
208 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary review please

We are driving because we are a family of 4. Much cheaper to drive.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary review please

According to a post last week, the tree at Rockefeller center won't be lit until Nov 30.

Also, have you looked into Bolt Bus? If you leave DC at 7:00 am on the 26th and leave NY at 7:30pm on 11/27, the roundtrip fare for 4 will be $152.

Virginia
Level Contributor
208 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary review please

Interesting... I'll have to do some calculations as far as the cost of driving vs. this bus. We live in the burbs so we would have to factor in the cost of parking a car in downtown DC as well.

thanks!

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
805 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary review please

In retail the day after Thanksgiving (Friday) is called "Black Friday" It is the craziest busiest retail day all year so between the holiday weekend and the biggest retail day in the year.....Traffic will be REALLY a mess.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Deb