We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off To The Big City Today! One last question

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Topic
Off To The Big City Today! One last question

First: Thanks to everyone who helped me get my bearings straight while planning to use NYC's great public transit system. I'm getting better at it with each use after getting great advice here. Thanks, too, for the great lunch and afternoon activity suggestions. We're going to the Met, the C.P. Zoo, and the Nintendo Store (if they're good and we have time). It'll be a fine day in the City, it will.

My question: I have a metro-card from September that still has a few rides left on it. I know I can re-load that card rather than buy a new card and I wondered if I can do that at the self-serve kiosk where I originally bought the card in GCT?

Again, Thanks everyone.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Off To The Big City Today! One last question

I believe you need to go to the token booth clerk to add money onto your card. But I could be wrong (okay come on, who am I trying to kid ..... I'm always wrong).

BTW ..... my mother used to tell me to hide a quarter in my shoe before leaving the house. Just in case I got robbed and have to make en emergency phone call. That advice always used to make me wonder; "But what if the robbers make me take off my shoes? Then what am I supposed to do?"

Have a great time in NYC Waterbug ..... the fall leaves are coming into peak color ..... so get a belly full.

Edited: 23 October 2010, 11:27
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Off To The Big City Today! One last question

Thanks, LP.

65 degrees F today is what I'm expecting. I think it will be the perfect day.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off To The Big City Today! One last question

You can add money at the machine.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Off To The Big City Today! One last question

*** You can add money at the machine. ***

LOL ..... see ..... what did I tell ya !

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Off To The Big City Today! One last question

LP - Metrocards can be ""recharged"" at any of the vending machines

that sell them in any subway station....I do it all the time.

Edited: 23 October 2010, 14:10
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,390 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Off To The Big City Today! One last question

As long as it was a pay-per-ride card (whch I assume it is) then yes, you can recharge at a vending machine. Just follow the instructions - there's a button that says "refill your card".

Unlimited cards cannot be recharged, unfortunately.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Off To The Big City Today! One last question

I use the pay per ride cards - pretty much exclusively - just looked at my stash and have 3 of them with various amounts on them - the machine can also check your balances.

8. Re: Off To The Big City Today! One last question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2011, 05:16