We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time?

Houston, Texas
14 posts
Save Topic
Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time?

I stayed at Madison square New Yorker Hotel last time. Love it because it's so convenient. Subway, Amtrack and 24 hrs convenient stores. The hotel is acceptable given my budget except the washroom looks like 1930s. The restaurant sucks but there are Wendy, Macdonald, Burger Kings and local cafes. I 'm thinking of staying at hotels around Time Square or Broadway.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time?

Since it'll be your second time in NYC, why not expand your scope and stay in Soho right near Greenwich Village at the new Marriott Courtyard Manhattan/Soho? You'll be far enough away from those awful chain restaurants but you'll still be able to enjoy a different kind of fast food: pizza, cannoli, aroncini, etc. You'll still be close to the subway for easy transport. Thanks to CockleCove, a frequent poster here, I was able to get a rate of $126.00 a night for a February stay. This rate, and one @ $167.00 can be booked until Nov. 2nd. It's a new hotel, opening in November (anticipated)

You might also enjoy the Upper West Side near more great restaurants, parks, interesting grocery stores, and more neighborhood streets that reflect city living that just isn't happening around Times Square.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time?

For a 1st time visitor, I would definitely recommend staying in Times Square/Theater District. It is a central location, close to all the sites and has a subway stop right there. The energy in TS is amazing and gives you a true NYC experience. We stayed at Double Guest Suites in TS and could not have been happier. It was very resasonable, very clean and upscale.

Have Fun!!

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time?

“ Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time? ”

If money were not an issue, anywhere around Central Park with a view,

like any hotel there across the street from the park.

Houston, Texas
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time?

I went to BLT Steak, WD50, and Mesa Grill last time ( wanted to dine at Shang but someone booked the whole restaurant that day ). Anyway, I am totally into fine dining. But when I am at the hotel at 11pm and want to see more NYC night life. I would love to stay at a hotel where I can get out of the hotel, walk a couple blocks, and be able to see people everywhere. Some stores are still opened and I could still get a coffee and unhealthy snack:)).

I am not a fan of hotel food but would like to try some good quality hotel breakfast buffet. Any suggestion??

By the way, I was disappointed with Mesa Grill. I got a cold Tamale and the server totally ignored me after I declined ordering any wine. How could Chef Flay let this kind of things happened???

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time?

Couldn't you walk the few blocks to Times Square or take the subway to Greenwich Village ? I have stayed in the same area as the New Yorker, went to see Springsteen at MSG..Us girls were out until the wee hours..

For me, it's about what I can afford.For me,I'd stay as close to the Village as i could afford..:)

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time?

dee: Did you take advantage of that great rate at the Marriott in Soho?

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time?

By the time I got there, it was gone!!!!..But hubby is a Platinum member of Marriott, so he promised me he'd call and try by phone..I hope we can .It looks really nice!!

Glad you got in!!..

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time?

The question is not where I would stay, but what area makes sense for you.

If you are one of those folks who wants to feel part of the hustle and bustle of New York, and wants a fairly central location, Times Square would be the place for you. But the area is crowded, touristy and the restaurant scene is loaded with chain stodge.

The Village is another choice for many. The main advantage of the Village is that it is a real neighborhood where actual New Yorkers live. Lots of great crooked street in a lively area. Similarly, the Upper West Side is another neighborhood that has a lot going for it - including a park of some note.

But, lets say you are 24 years old, into clubbing and nightlife. The place that makes most sense would be LaJolie in WBurg. It is near all the nightlife that made the area famous, and is only a short subway into Manhattan.

As for me, I would likely stay in Greenwich Village. Of course, when I lived there, I wanted to go back to Park Slope.

Manchester
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time?

waterbug2468, how did you get the Marriott Courtyard Manhattan for so cheap? Did you have a special discount code?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area would u stay if u'were visiting NYC 1st time?

Time Square near Rokafella center so I could go to Center Park