We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Long Trip Report Oct 15 to 19

ancaster ontario...
Level Contributor
182 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Very Long Trip Report Oct 15 to 19

Friday, Oct 15 Supposed to leave Toronto at 1:25 p.m, but were delayed 2 hours. The flight was fine but we had to readjust plans. It was nice to get picked up by Carmel Limo service ($26 plus tolls) and get delivered to the UN Millenium Hotel (thank you trip advisor for the promo code) because now that it was rush hour, the subway would have been a bit dodgy. Hotel was very nice, clean and the view was spectacular. We stared out at the Empire State and Chrysler buildings. Wow. It was too late for MOMA so we walked top dinner at Cibo on 2nd Ave. Great prix fixe meal: squash soup, mussels, lamb shanks and salmon with bread pud and choc mousse cake. Nice bottle of Sonoma Zinfandel as well. Meal was a little pricey but really good. Totally stuffed we headed toward Times Square to walk it off. We hadn't been there since it was partially closed to traffic. I liked it. We went up to the 8th floor bar at the Marriot but it was packed with families and we were too full for a drink anyways. Long walk home.

ancaster ontario...
Level Contributor
182 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very Long Trip Report Oct 15 to 19

Oct. 16 Breakfast at the Nation's Cafe on 1st Ave. It was fine. On previous trips, we've covered many of the most popular tourist attractions, so we had a few new things to see. We bought our Metro unlimited weekly passes and headed for Brooklyn. As we walked towards Prospect Park, we encountered a well attended farmer's market with lots of young families. We walked thought the park, around Park Slope for a couple of hours with stops to refuel with tea and a little shopping on 5th. Took the subway to Wall Street and nodded to the place that controls our retirement plans. As we walked down to the Charging Bull, a horde of skateboarders came flying down Broadway. First a couple, then more and by the end, at least a hundred. They were hooting, hollerling and fist pumping. It was really fun to watch. They stopped at the Bull, climbed up on him and milled around, shouting at the tourist buses going by. The police handled it well, allowing them their fun, then casually breaking it up. Off to Stone St. (how cute!) for a Pizza Margherita and beer at Adrienne's Pizza. Very tasty. Took the subway up to Washington Square to see a Street Fair. Lots of vendors hawking food, scarves (endless scarves everywhere, what's up with that?) and jewelry. A few buskers, some more talented than others. Subway home for a quick nap then off to Asia de Cuba on Madison for our anniversary dinner. It's a very stylish restaurant and we had the tasting menu with wine pairings. Yum! They comped us a glass of sparkling wine for our anniverary. Intersting cuising mix, Asian and Cuban but somehow it worked. Spring rolls, calamari salad, short ribs, cod, tuna tartare, a real mishmash. A little pricey but it was our anniversary. I used that line with varying succes a lot. Headed to Bleecker St. to the Terra Blues Club to see Hazmat Modine followed by Saron Crewnshaw. It was packed and a lot of fun. My normally law-abiding husband stole a glass as he was annoyed at the $15 cover charge. (website said $10) I said, "Who cares, it's our anniversary." (see the pattern here_) We'd walked many miles today so it was time to leave a very busy Bleecker St. and head for the hotel.

ancaster ontario...
Level Contributor
182 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very Long Trip Report Oct 15 to 19

Sunday, Oct 17 We had breakfast at John's on 2nd. It was quick and inexpensive. I tried the corned beef hash as recommended and it was fine. We decided to walk the High Line as it was a fantastic day, warm and sunny. we had to change trains at Union Square so we went up nad looked around. Enjoyed the artists selling their wares, savy chess players, stuary and did a bit of shopping. Just seemed wrong to spend time shopping when there's so much to see. The High Line was exactly what we expected, a beautiful strip of nature in the middle of a city. It seems well appreciated by multi-generations of families. We walked through Chelsea a bit then on to the subway to our matinee of the Addams Family. My husband chose the show as he isn't overly fond of musical theater but this he wanted to see. It was great fun and Nathan Lane is just amazing. Of course we had very good seats because (wait for it) it's our anniversary. Dinner was at Becco nearby and we had the 3 pasta special and $25 wine as many posters have suggested. It was good, but I thought the white bean spread, bread and olives were the best part of the meal. We walked towards the hotel stopping for a couple of Harps and Smithwicks at O'Neill's pub on 2nd Ave. It was an enjoyable couple of hours with great musical talent and even a lovely lass that danced up and down the very narrow aisle. Another awesome day.

ancaster ontario...
Level Contributor
182 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very Long Trip Report Oct 15 to 19

Monday, Oct 18 Quick bagel, cream cheese, banana and tea at Avanti Coffe bar on 2nd Ave for breakfast. Subway to Greenwich Village and we wandered about for a while before meeting our Food Tour in front of Murray's Cheese shop on Bleecker. The tour lasted 31/2 hours and was very informative, worthwhile and fattening. 2 minutes after the tour ended we met up with our Big Apple Greeter. We felt lucky to get a greeter as they can't keep up with the demand. If you're a tourist, check out this excellent program. Since we had already covered many of the usual tours, our greeter took us to Forest Hills in Queens. Wow, what a surprise. We had no idea an area like this existed in Queens. We spent a couple of hours walking around, then our greeter went on his way and we headed to Katz's deli on East Houston for dinner. (yes, I know we had just spent 3 1/2 hours eating - oink oink) we split a pastrami sandwich and had a Katz Ale each. It was fun and delicious. Afterwards we went to Oliva, a Spanish restaurant in the area for a brandy. Friends had given us money to have a brandy for our anniversary but we had trouble finding a place in the area that carried brandy. Off to the subway, stopping at Duane Reade's for water and Budweiser.

ancaster ontario...
Level Contributor
182 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very Long Trip Report Oct 15 to 19

Tuesday, Oct 19 We checked out of the hotel and left our bags with the concierge. Headed for the subway with a stop at the lobby of the Chrysler building. Gorgeous! Breakfast was at Tom's Restaurant on Broadway(from Seinfeld) on the Upper West Side area of Morningside. We had to get a souvenir for our son. It was good food and very inexpensive. We then walked to the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. It was huge and quite busy but seemed a bit dreary. As we walked towards Central Park we passed 5 dog walkers with 4 dogs each. It was quite a sight. Great day for a walk in the park. Saw cyclists, joggers, walkers, recumbent bikes, bladers and a unicycle. Stopped briefly at the Guggenheim, Belvedere Castle, Shakespeare garden, Alice in Wonderland and arrived at the Boathouse for our 12 noon reservation. It was very chi-chi but a bit overpriced for the quality of food. And, yes it was our anniversary, so who cares, I reiterated to my husband. Watching the boaters on the lake was entertaining. We had scallops and crabcake (yes just one, though it was a good size) monkfish, salmon and a glass of wine each. Headed back towards the hotel with a stop at the UN. We didn't leave enough time for a tour but looked around what little you can see on your own.Grabbed our bags and left for the airport. Another terrific trip to NYC. I can't thank the Tripadvisor DEs enough for all their help. It made our trip so much better than it would have been. Can't wait to go back. So much still to see.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very Long Trip Report Oct 15 to 19

Glad you had a great trip!!! I love reading all the trip reports. They make me miss NYC so much. I hope you had a great Anniversary! It sounds like you did!!! ;O)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Very Long Trip Report Oct 15 to 19

Thanks for the report.

What did you like about the Forest Hills area? You have left me intrigued...

ancaster ontario...
Level Contributor
182 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very Long Trip Report Oct 15 to 19

Well Mez3000 it wasn't spectacular or anything, it was just a beautiful area of big trees, large lots and houses that looked to have been built preWWII. The kind of that pseudo-Tudor style that was popular in the 1930's dominates the area. We were just surprised to see such an untouched large survey in the middle of Queens. (too many sitcoms I guess) It was very peaceful and there were very few people out and about even though it was a beautiful day. It was a really great way to spend an hour or two.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Very Long Trip Report Oct 15 to 19

It sounds lovely!

ancaster ontario...
Level Contributor
182 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very Long Trip Report Oct 15 to 19

Thanks klmurphy2005, we had an amazing anniverary. I can't imagine a more exciting city to spend it in than New York. It'll be hard to top next year!

10. Re: Very Long Trip Report Oct 15 to 19

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 05:18