We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York in February

High Springs, FL
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
New York in February

My 13 year old daughter and I are coming to NY next month. I haven't been since 1992. Any recommendations on restaurants for my picky teen? We're staying near TS. Any other ideas for things not to miss are appreciated.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,508 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York in February

What sort of food does this picky teen like?

High Springs, FL
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York in February

She mainly likes bread. :-) She also will eat burgers, hotdogs, subs, some Italian, pizza...junk food.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York in February

Definately take her to Ellen's Stardust Diner, on Broadway @51st Street....singing waiters/waitresses, decent, affordable food, lots of fun.

Also, Johns Pizza - 44th Street between Broadway & 8th Avenues.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New York in February

I took my 13 year old son to NY last Feb. and although he is an adventurous eater I understand your plight. I found bribery worked best whether it was so I could brouse MOMA or mow down on some Korean food. If she loves shopping, use that as leverage. We had breakfast at are hotel and ate lunch on the fly at either restaurants in or around the sights we were visiting. If you get a chance, take your daughter to the Tenement museum and take a tour. Katz's deli is close by but we just went across the road from the Tenement museum(book store)to a little cafe. It was the nicest cup of tea I've ever had and we played scrabble and nibbled on snacks. I had all these great plans to introduce my kid to the world of fine dining and he just was not interested. Some nights we ate at an esquisite Thai restaurant the next we were eating at Wendy's. I found that if I just went with the flow things went more smoothly( boy can 13 years get moody). It's great to plan for 1 special night out but for the rest I would advise just walking around your area and discovering your own hot spot. Have a really great trip and take it from me, the memories for both of you will last a life time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,508 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York in February

There's some mighty fine bread in NYC. ;) Le Pain Quotidienne is a chain of bread/sandwich/pastry/salad places that both of you will like. If you stay midtown, the closest would probably be on 7th ave & 58 st.

www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/2452.htm

Btw, "Pain" is french for bread and is pronounced like a frying "pan" without a strong "n" sound.

There's another chain called Au Bon Pain that's also good for breakfast or lunch.

For pizza, in addition to John's, Angelo's is also good in the Ed Sullivan theater (where Letterman is taped) and there's also one on west 57 st.

For hot dogs, go to Gray's Papaya or Papaya King. At Gray's, 2 dogs and a drink are $2.75 (it's a snack bar not a rest.).