We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark Airport to Manhattan - bus or train?

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Newark Airport to Manhattan - bus or train?

Hi there,

I'm landing at Newark airport, and my hotel is at W 57th St/7th Ave.

Is it best to take the AirTrain/NJ Transit into Penn Station, or the Airport Express bus to the Port Authority Bus Terminal?

It appears a one way trip via bus is $15/roundtrip $25. From a cost and convenience perspective, would that be the better way to go? Is one experience better than the other?

Thanks!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark Airport to Manhattan - bus or train?

I found the airtrain/ NJ Transit fast, convienient and value for money. Really easy to use.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark Airport to Manhattan - bus or train?

It depends on the time of day. The bus can be tied up in traffic to which the train is not subject, but at an off hour it may make little difference.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark Airport to Manhattan - bus or train?

Good point. Had not considered the surface traffic. Thanks!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark Airport to Manhattan - bus or train?

Airtrain to New Jersey Transit to Penn Station new york=--- do not get off at Penn Station Newark New Jersey which others have done.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark Airport to Manhattan - bus or train?

$15.00 gets you a train ticket from Newark Airport to New York Penn. You don't even have to go outside at Newark Airport. AirTrain Newark is conveniently located inside (and clearly marked).

An easy transfer from the AirTrain right onto the main NJ Transit train right into New York Penn (hold on to your ticket as the Conductor will collect it on board). Do not get off at Newark Penn Station. It is all very well-marked and there are uniformed people who can answer any questions.

Penn Station is great as you have subways, buses and taxi's (with a uniformed taxi dispatcher) to get you to your final destination easily and economically.

This is fast, easy, efficient, cost-effective, good for the environment and even kind of fun.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark Airport to Manhattan - bus or train?

As an ex-NYer, I'd take the airTrain plus train to NY Penn Station + taxi to your hotel. But, I wouldn't call it 'really easy to use' as one of the previous posters has said. Here are some pitfalls:

1. You have to find the airTrain Station.

2. There are 2 trains, running in opposite directions. You have to select the correct one.

3. You have to get off at the right stop for the trains to NY

4. You have to pay for the air train and above-ground train (so you have to fuss with the vending machine).

5. When you exit the air train station and walk to the regular train platform, you have to get on the RIGHT TRAIN going in the RIGHT DIRECTION. As I recall, many of the trains aren't marked well (or at all) and the Amtrak Train (while it goes to NY) is more expensive than the New Jersey Transit train so if you get on it by mistake, you're going to pay more.

6. The trains stop at New Jersey Penn Station before New York Penn Station: Don't get off at the wrong Penn station!

7. When you reach Penn Station, there is likely to be a massive dash for the NARROW staircase or escalator (which might or might not be working). So, you're going to be crunched a little as you ascend from the tracks into the station.

8. When you emerge into the station, you'll be bewildered as to where, exactly, you are. The station is huge and there are exit doors on all sides. If you exit on the wrong side, you'll have to either walk around the station or waste time and money on a taxi that will take you 'back around".

Now, let's look at the bus into New York. The bus pulls up in front of each terminal every 15 minutes. You pay the man and get on. It stops at the Port Authority Bus terminal in NY. There are taxis waiting when you get out of the terminal.

Your choice!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark Airport to Manhattan - bus or train?

Wow...how to make a journey look complicated in 8 easy steps!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newark Airport to Manhattan - bus or train?

lol;-) Well, both work..IMO difference would be traffic considerations if using bus..even though there are dedicated lanes for them to speed things up during the rush..but when it backs up, it's still traffic! I'd go w/the train..or just call a car service! Have fun..and EnjoY!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,086 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Newark Airport to Manhattan - bus or train?

I'm sort of mystified by HopSkipJump's effort to make the train look complicated. I mean, you have to find the AirTrain station? Yes, you do: you have to follow the GIANT SIGNS that say "AirTrain - This Way" every fifteen feet. You have to find the bus too, you know.

You have to find the correct AirTrain: true. You have to read the signs and/or ask one of the many uniformed attendants if you for some reason cannot read the signs.

You have to get off at the correct stop: again true. You must use your brain and your ears and/or your eyes to know that when the train stops and the automated voice says "This station: trains to New York" that you should get off the AirTrain along with the hundreds of other people doing the same thing.

You have to pay: true. You have to pay for the bus also. The vending machines are far less of a fuss than paying the bus attendants, if the number of people who have compained about not having their pre-purchased bus tickets honored is any indication.

Getting on the right train: again true. You have to pay attention to the giant signs, the many announcements, and/or aksing the uniformed personnel if all of the above are not sufficient. You can tell the Amtrak Train because it says AMTRAK on the side, and it is announced as the "Amtrak Train."

Not getting off at Newark Penn Station: again, true. You must use your brain and ears and eyes. Get off at the end.

Dealing with crowds at Penn Station: true. There are stairs at Port Authority also.

Penn Station being huge: true. Port Auitrhority isn't a country cottage. If you can't manage to follow the signs that say "Exit" to get out of Penn Station, you won't be able to find your way out of Port Authority either. If, in teh worst case, you exit on teh opposite side from where you ultimately want to be, you'll pay twenty cents extra to go the extra block in a cab. This is not a tragedy.

Don't get me wrong: the bus is better for some people. I just don't see any of these reasons given as making any sort of difference. People who can't manage their baggage but who will be met at the bus station will do better on the bus, because there is help with loading and unloading, and no transfer between the airport and the bus terminal. People who want to avoid traffic should take the train, as it is likely to be faster during rush hours.

Belfast
Level Contributor
480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newark Airport to Manhattan - bus or train?

I found the bus a good choice. Caught it around 2pm so only took about 35/40 mins to reach Port Authority.