We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for day trip with 12 year old daughter

Virginia
Level Contributor
203 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for day trip with 12 year old daughter

I have been through so many posts on this same topic so forgive me for asking. I just can't seem to narrow it down.

We are not coming to do anything specific so I am open to suggestions. We have been to NYC a couple of times but this time it is just the girls and we get to do what we want. We are coming by bus the weekend before Thanksgiving and will have about 9-10 hours. My daughter loves shopping but mainly she just wants to walk around and "see stuff".

I would like to take her for a nice/casual lunch but don't want to wait forever if possible.. I am not looking for anything fancy. She loves milk shakes so thought about Serendipity if I can make reservations but they are getting bad reviews. The American Girl Place is not so appealing for her.

Thank your for your time!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for day trip with 12 year old daughter

I'll be there with my 11yo daughter a bit earlier than you. We plan to skate ... either Bryant Park, Central Park or maybe even Rockefeller Center. If it's not too cold or windy, we'd also like to take the subway to Brooklyn and walk back over the bridge.

We're staying overnight .. so we've got a bit more time than you,

Also ... when we were there before we went to the Brooklyn Flea and it was great ... LOVED the building it was in. Another hit, believe it or not, was the Tenement Museum.

Edited: 28 October 2010, 03:45
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for day trip with 12 year old daughter

If she's a museum kind of girl: Have you been to the Metropolitan Museum of Art? They have a great Costumes exhibit that is fascinating. The Armor and Egyptian exhibits are wondrous.

We really enjoyed the downstairs cafeteria at the Met. The food is fine and is varied just enough to appeal to a 12 year old's palate. Of course there are other, more sophisticated lunch choices in the neighborhood.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for day trip with 12 year old daughter

momstravel, who lives in New Jersey but frequently visits NYC with her teens and the Girl Scout troop she leads, has given us some wonderful trip reports that should give you great leads. E.g.,

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2076559…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3603569…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3609019…

Virginia
Level Contributor
203 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for day trip with 12 year old daughter

Thank you so much for the comments!

5. Re: Suggestions for day trip with 12 year old daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 06:46