We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Last Minute Trip Possible?

Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Last Minute Trip Possible?

Wife has crazy idea of going to NYC to watch the Macys Thanksgiving Day parade.

We are from the midwest, never been to NYC, and have 4 kids. Is it possible to find a hotel for 6 peeps near the parade route (doesn't need to be a parade viewing hotel) at this time? Suggestions? Locations to watch the parade and what time to arrive at location to secure a spot? Some folks on this forum suggested arriving @ 6 am - really? every location? are there locations for bathroom breaks while waiting for hours?

TIA

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,414 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Last Minute Trip Possible?

You don't need to be "near the parade route" because you've got subways to take you any where you want.

Six people is tough, you'll need two hotel rooms or some sort of suite arrangement (because of occupancy laws ... doesn't matter if you are willing to "squeeze in" if the room is only designated for 2 people). So it could be difficult but probably not impossible, if your budget is large enough.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Last Minute Trip Possible?

First off it does not need to be anywhere near the Parade route since you can take the subway there--- and you will need to be on the route by 6am to get a spot.

The harder thing will be finding one room for 6 people but have you ever gone to a hotel or motel with your crowd --- how do you do that ? Assuming you don't have an unlimited budget I would look at places outside the city and driving in that morning or if you are going to be here a few days staying in Long Island City if you can find a hotel room at this late date--

We get this request every year and based on what you have said thus far I am afraid you have no idea what you are facing and I would urge you to plan for next year when you can put a little more thought into it.

PS there are no places for bathroom breaks and if you leave you are likely not to get back in---- this is not like anything else you have probably ever experienced and is not like your hometown parade. Over 2 million people line the route and some plan for it for a year not a few weeks.

Edited: 28 October 2010, 16:11
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Last Minute Trip Possible?

Hola.

Try staying at the New Yorker Hotel. For the past 15-20 years this is where the Macy’s Parade clowns receive their costumes and make-up very early in the morning on Thanksgiving Day (between 5AM to 8 AM).

Can you imagine 800+ adults and kids lining up to be costumed, painted and powdered and then bussed uptown to where the parade starts? What a treat to be able to sit in the lobby for that sight on Thanksgiving morning!

Note: The last time we did this was two years ago, but believe that this is still the place.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,803 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Last Minute Trip Possible?

You could arrange this trip now if you have an adequate budget and the appropriate hotel is available.

I'm not sure how much more planning someone needs to do other than to know their route to their chosen spot to watch the parade knowing full well the need to arrive by around 6 a.m. and that if one leaves the line (regardless of whether a child or not) for a bathroom break, your space will not be held for you. You or your wife might attempt to hold that space for one of your kids (and I presume one of the parents), but the crowd will most certainly not part to allow you and child back in - the crowd along much of the parade route is quite a few people deep.

Doing this is not impossible - and the suggestion to find someplace outside the city to bring your costs down is fine but just think about what time you will have to leave that location to make it to a spot on the route by 6 a.m.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Last Minute Trip Possible?

The only reason I suggested outside the city is because with 4 kids some no name motel in New Jersey is more likely to have two double beds and allow a few kids to sleep on the floor than trying to find an elusive place in the city. No way will this group get into a room at the New Yorker unless the kids are

4,3,2,1 which they could be.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,803 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Last Minute Trip Possible?

Here's some info about this year's parade - and the location of where they blow up the balloons the night before (which for me would be fun if I was a kid) - It notes that the parade lasts about 1.5 hours if you have a spot near the beginning of the parade route; about 3 hours the further down the route you are located. It begins at 9 a.m.

…about.com/cs/thanksgiving/a/tdayparade.htm

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Last Minute Trip Possible?

Mom cat --- how much planning ? with four kids and trying to come to New York city for the first time ? In order to stay out of major trouble I would say it will take a lot of planning, This happens all the time that people see events in New York City like the parade or New Years eve and say from the comfort of their living rooms in Podunk "we should do that!" without planning or an understanding of what it is disaster is right around the corner and a terrible time. We need to ask this orig poster the basic questions---- how old are the kids ? how many nights are you coming? how are you going to get here ?

What is your budget per night for a room ? Until we know all that it is irresponsible to suggest that he should pack up the old SUV and go east young man--- go east !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,803 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Last Minute Trip Possible?

Oh, for pete's sake no need to overreact to my comments. I did say that if they have the budget for the appropriate accommodation and it is available and they understand the logistical issues, it is not impossible - it is a month away.

Families do this kind of thing all the time - I am going to assume the OP knows what their kids are capable of and whether this is appropriate for them -

Being from the midwest they will have (or should) have the correct clothing given they know how cold it can be.

It's not like I said "come on over, no problems" - I did clarify what they need to know and have (adequate budget/info) in order to pull this off.

No need to be so dramatic in your disagreement with me though I guess I should be used to it by now....

Edited: 28 October 2010, 16:59
9. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Last Minute Trip Possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 17:35
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Last Minute Trip Possible?

In a way it does, bilmin. It takes a parade less time to pass a spot 2 blocks from where it begins than it does to pass a spot 2 blocks from the end -- and I am talking about actually marching past; over the course of the parade, gaps appear and delays increase. There is also the fact that people line up all along the route at pretty much the same time, but the parade passes the blocks at the start of the route a great deal earlier.