We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear...

Perth
Level Contributor
72 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear...

So in continuing my research, I was hoping for some advice on dress. Am 26 and travelling across the US as part of a tour, then staying on in NY by myself, so will have limited luggage and was wondering if i'm going to need to bring a whole lot of cocktail dresses & heels, or if I can get by with nice jeans & a trendy top?

Main places I want to visit that i'm concerned about dress are:

- Balthazar (breakfast)

- Tao (lunch)

- Crispo (dinner)

- Peter Luger (dinner)

- Pastis

- Broadway shows

- Bars/Clubs on the LES/East Village

Also, will restaurants accept bookings for just one person? And is it weird to eat alone in NY, will I massively stand out like a solo diner here would?

Thanks!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear...

As a female - I reckon that all the places you listed, you could get away with a "smart casual" outfit - ie. dressy tops and slacks.

No need for cocktail dresses or high heels, IMO

As for jeans, for brekky and lunch - yes, dinner- I would go for more upscale slacks.

Broadway shows and bars/clubs, jeans would be more than appropriate.

Even though we live only 1.5 hours away and visit often we pack minimally - just this past weekend I wore my outfit a pair of casual slacks, shirt and a sweater for the 3 days I was here-just bought changes of underwear and socks.

My wife did likewise.

Went to dinner at a nice local restaurant, a B'way show and a couple of museums, shopping, the NYPLibrary and a couple of jazz places in GV.

Believe me. unless a place has a specific dress code NO ONE will care what you wear or look like.

Be comfortable and plan to have fun with it.!!!!!

In fact, if you did wear a cocktail dress and heels - you would then attract attention.

So, no worries, be yourself.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear...

Agree and will add, the trendy young places will be fine with nice designer jeans but you might want heels. Leave the cocktail dresses at home but maybe have some fancier tops. As for reservations for one, I think most places will take them. You can also usually eat at the bar at most places for lunch or dinner.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear...

You won't stand out as a solo diner except maybe at a romantic place (which is not on your list).

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear...

Poppa, I am so glad that you change your underwear on a regular basis. Listen up folks. As my mom used to say, wear clean underwear because you may get hit by a bus, and then the doctor will see you in that ratty old pair that you were wearing for weeks. It will reflect badly on your upbringing. For the better restaurants, business casual would usually be fine.

It is less weird to eat solo in NYC than in many places. We have lots of single professionals with small kitchens. Take a book to occupy yourself, or just people watch. There are also various restaurants that offer communal tables where you can meet a new friend. Here is a list:

Brooklyn —

ChicoryBrooklyn — 243 DeGraw Street — Cobble Hill, Brooklyn, New York — (718) 797-2121

DuMont Burger — 314 Bedford Avenue — Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York — (718) 384-6127

Northeast Kingdom — 18 Wyckoff Avenue — Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York — (718) 386-3864

"Harvest" Table

Plant — 25 Jay Street — Dumbo, Brooklyn, New York — (718) 722-7541

"Friday Night"

Radegast Hall & Biergarten — 113North Third Street — Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, New York — (718) 963-3973

Roosters — 448A Lafayette Avenue — Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, New York — (718) 230-0098

Tigerlily — 299 Greene Avenue — Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York — (917) 652-4648

Chelsea —

Co. — 230 Ninth Avenue — Chelsea, New York — (212) 243-1105

New York —

Avra Estiatorio — 141 East 48th Street — New York, New York — (212) 759-8550

Bar Boulud — 1900 Broadway — New York, New York — (212) 595-0303

Counter dining, too!

Boqueria — 53 West 19th Street — Chelsea, New York, New York — (212) 255-4160

Braii — 329 West 51st Street — New York, New York — (212) 315-3315

Buddakan — 75 Ninth Avenue — New York, New York — (212) 989-6699 (Thanks — Elizabeth!)

Cafe Boulud — 20 East 76th Street — New York, New York — (212) 772-2600 (Thanks — Tom!)

Daisy May's BBQ U.S.A. — 623 11th Avenue — New York, New York — (212) 977-1500 (Thanks — Bob!)

Esperanto — 145 Avenue C — New York, New York — (212) 505-6559

Fig & Olive Kitchen and Tasting Bar — 808 Lexington Avenue — New York, New York — (212) 207-4555 (Thanks — Debra!)

Il Bagatto — 190 East 2nd Street — New York, New York — (212) 228-3562 (Thanks — George!)

Ippudo NY — 64 Fourth Avenue — New York, New York — (212) 388-0088

Má Péche — 15 West 56th Street — New York, New York — (212) 757-5878

Mercer Kitchen — 99 Prince Street — New York, New York — (212) 966-5454

Parea — 36 East 20th Street — New York, New York — (212) 777-8448

Peels — 325 Bowery — New York, New York — (646) 602-7015

Counter seating, too!

Salt — 53 West 19th Street — Soho, New York — (212) 674-4968 (Thanks — Almay!)

Stand — 24 East 12th Street — New York — (212) 488-5900 (Thanks — Bill!)

Wall and Water - Andaz Hotel (Hyatt) — 75 Wall Street — New York — (212) 590-1234

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear...

Wow! Thank-you for that list! Good for two too, I'm assuming.

Perth
Level Contributor
72 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear...

Thanks for your help everyone! Least now hopefully I can pack a bit lighter and save space for shopping!

Also thanks for that list BrooklynMel, will def check some of those places out!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear...

And, be warned - at Tao they really push bottled water and edemame.

Feel free to say no if you dont want it. Nothing wrong with not having either - most of us drink tap water (blah blah, NYC supposedly has the best tap water - Ill say it before someone else does)

Its near my office and we go there all the time - and the pushiness to up the bill gets annoying. Unfortunately the out of towners at the next tables always seem to get intimidated into it

Perth
Level Contributor
72 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear...

Thanks for the tip Evening!

Also good to know about the tap water :)

9. Re: What to wear...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 05:17