We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slap Ya Mama

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Slap Ya Mama

This is not what it sounds like.... ^_^

www.slapyamama.com/Store/home.php?cat=250

Does anyone have a suggestions where I can find these spices in the City? they´re not available here and a colleague of mine would like some....

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slap Ya Mama

Meyem - Rather than trudging in and out of stores looking for a single product, just get the dang thing on line and have it sent directly to you.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slap Ya Mama

Mel, my sentiments exactly :D

I don´t think it´s available in NY anyways, but I mailed the store about online possibilities......

can´t wait to hit the Big Apple this December!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slap Ya Mama

BrooklynMel is correct- I've looked for this particular spice all over the city and have never been able to find it. Stores like Whole Foods and whatnot only carry the most basic Cajun/Creole spices- you'll only find Emeril's and maybe Paul Prudhomme's, if you're lucky. This is not the city for Cajun/Creole anything, really.

The brick and mortar shop with the best spices and condiments in NYC is definitely Kalustyan's:

http://www.kalustyans.com/

That's the only place I've ever been able to find Creole mustard.

If you're looking to buy online, I like Cajun Grocer:

http://www.cajungrocer.com/

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slap Ya Mama

thanks!

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Slap Ya Mama

The place in NOLA that sells the good muffuletta, (Central Grocery maybe?), sells spices, don't they? Check to see if they have a website.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Slap Ya Mama

How does this look?

https:/…Spices-Seasonings.html

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slap Ya Mama

I will not slap my mama- I KNOW what would happen, lol!

I have actually been to Ville Platte, LA, and I bought these products in the grocery store there.

http://www.louisianafishfry.com/

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slap Ya Mama

Hola.

We love to cook and have found the Manhattan Fruit Exchange (MFE) to have the greatest variety of commonly (and many uncommonly) used herbs/spices and at the lowest prices in the City. The herbs/spices are displayed in the rear of the store on the left-hand side (annex).

Though we have not seen “Slap Ya Mama” at the MFE, Cajun spices --i.e., bold mixes of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano and thyme-- are readily available here. MFE is located in the Chelsea Market on 9th Avenue between 15th & 16th Streets.

Note: The Chelsea Market is huge and extends from 9th to 10 Avenue, and the Manhattan Fruit Exchange is closer to 10th Avenue. For more information, see:

chelseamarket.com/manhattanfruitexchange/

Hope this helps.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Edited: 05 November 2010, 17:09
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slap Ya Mama

Just for the record, I've tried the "Cajun" blend at the Chelsea Market, and would not make the purchase again. It lacks the salt that makes most Louisiana-produced spice mixes ideal for cooking.

Not that anyone asked, but if we're taking a poll of the best, my vote goes to Tony Chachere's, which I've learned to order in bulk online.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slap Ya Mama

Hola AP.

We agree with you about the “prepared” blend and suggest that you add salt to it. In any case, we prefer to blend our own from the individual ingredients.

Hope this helps.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Edited: 06 November 2010, 01:29