We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

religious lodgings- convents or monateries

northampton...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
religious lodgings- convents or monateries

I'm thinking of going to NYC Thanksgiving Day weekend this year. I looked at the old forum (2006) and saw some leads. Unfortunately the Leo house is booked. I found Union Theological, but they don't have enough days available. And the House of the Redeemer isn't open after Turkey day.

Any suggestions of other affordable places to stay in NY that weekend. It's two of us traveling and we're okay with simple space and clean shared baths. Would prefer quiet.

Thanks,

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: religious lodgings- convents or monateries

whats your budget in us dollars? Would a hostel be ok?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: religious lodgings- convents or monateries

What's your idea of affordable - what is your nightly budget in USD?

Are you happy sharing a bed, or do you need 2 beds?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,804 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: religious lodgings- convents or monateries

Does it have to be religious? Have you looked at the hostels? The legal ones are:

The YMCAs (look at Vanderbit and the West Side)

Big Apple Hostel

Chelsea International Hostel

Hostelling International

The Pod hotel also has shared bathrooms, as does the Jane.

Thanksgiving Day weekend is very popular, and you're booking very late, so you may have trouble finding something.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: religious lodgings- convents or monateries

If you join the Jehovah Witnesses in time they have lots of housing in Brooklyn Heights-- but you may have to knock on a few doors . is this a holiday or a religious retreat ?

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: religious lodgings- convents or monateries

Housed in an old seminary, The Desmond Tutu Center offers clean, quiet, rooms in a unique setting at a great location and at a reasonable price. I booked a room there for friends recently (veteran visitors to NYC) and they loved it. It's worth a look:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d674915-…

Check for rate discounts on Expedia and also on quikbook.com .

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: religious lodgings- convents or monateries

Hola.

We would like to suggest that you speak with your local minister, priest or regional monsignor or the head of your parish; perhaps he/she can provide you with a personal referral.

Hope this helps.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: religious lodgings- convents or monateries

Does the Casa Hoffa chain offer a religious discount ?

northampton...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: religious lodgings- convents or monateries

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe it's unrealistic, but I was thinking of spending around $60-75/person/night. The Desmond Tutu place is over my b budget. So is Pod Hotel.

I'll check into the hostels. The US hostels really vary in cleanliness. The DC one wasn't great whereas the Seattle one is great. Do you know about the Chelsea or Big Apple Hostels?

Has anyone heard know about St. Mary's Residence on E. 72nd Street?

Just wondering?

Thanks, Klara

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: religious lodgings- convents or monateries

Honestly Klara if that is all you are willing to spend then you are much better off not coming to New York City. The kinds of places you may see advertised for that are either scams or flop houses. Even someone looking at the type accommodations you are looking at is going to pay more. Especially on a very busy weekend like the one you picked. If it were that much per person per night you might get something basic but your current budget is totally unrealistic.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: religious lodgings- convents or monateries

Other than complaints about their rude staff, Big Apple Hostel is getting good reviews on Trip Advisor. Take a look:

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT