We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

McSorleys

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
McSorleys

Hey,

Just been looking at some reviews on McSorleys (after reading about it in a book I've got) and it's near the top of my list for places to visit whilst I'm over in NY.

It's looks like a great place, with a great history and I'm even more intrigued now to meet the "rude and bad tempered" bar staff (not my words; but them off some of the reviews).

Anyone been??

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
132 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,098 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: McSorleys

Yes, we've been once. We really liked McSorley's. We tried to go again on another trip after a comedy show, but they were already closed. They close at 1am, which is kind of early for NYC. :O)

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: McSorleys

A lot of tourists go there like anyone who has a guide book published after 1960. Go for what it is. a show. But if you are looking for the real New York go somewhere else.

Edited: 10 November 2010, 14:17
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: McSorleys

And when the words "rude and bad tempered" are written by an international visitor it usually follows---- "and here is why I did not leave a tip".......

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: McSorleys

Well I've just had a look and mine was published in 2005, so you may have a point ;-). I still fancy going to check it out, but can you recomend any other places Bilmin09?

Well someone did mention that they were bad tempered, until they heavily tipped, so again, I guess you are right!

Might seem like a stupid question, but if I was in a bar or pub in the UK and got a drink at the bar, to leave a tip I would say "and your own" or give them too much money and walk away. Is it similar to this in the states?

Ta!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: McSorleys

First let me establish my McSorleys credentials. This used to be one of my regular watering holes. Cheap beer, the cheese and mustard platter, and the great stove to keep us all warm on those winter nights. I have even had the priviledge of being booted out for unruly behavior - twice. But, McSorleys has pretty much stopped being a local hang and delved into the realm of Beer Tourism.

But, all is not lost. There are plenty of great places to drink quite nearby including Burp Castle - operated by "brewist monks" and dba [great single malt Scotch as well]. While you are in the Village, you may also want to check out the Blind Tiger Ale House and the Peculiar Pub [named after Old Peculiar].

Good drinking is also available across the river in Brooklyn. In WBurg you can go to the source at the Brooklyn Brewery [Friday night and Sat and Sun afternoons only], Radegast Hall or Loreli [both beer gardens] or just a good pub like Spike Hill or Teddys. Feel like more of a dive, check out the Turkey's Nest right near McCarren park.

Another great place to drink with the locals is Park Slope. Here is a crawl that I put out a while ago. Add Mission Dolores and the Rock Shop [both at 4th and Carroll to the list.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3397003…

Cheers

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: McSorleys

Sometimes I think the people that live in NYC need to remember that we are tourists. Sometimes, we like touristy things, and not all visitors to NYC are want to be New Yorkers.

McSorley's is great in my opinion. I really enjoyed it, but then again, I am a tourist. I would say if it caught your attention in your guidebook, then you should go and check it out. :O)

P.S. If it's in New York, it is real New York. Just like Disney is real Orlando, whether the locals like it or not.

Edited: 10 November 2010, 14:51
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: McSorleys

Yeah I could kinda tell that it had gone down the tourism route as you can buy merchandise from there (not something you see very often around my locals, but with good reason)!!

Cheers for the other suggestions, I've noted them and I'll definately check them out. I'm over there for 7 days, so I hope to visit all of the touristy things as well stumbling upon the parts that don't feature so much in the tourist books!!

Oh and I love my dives, so they seem great!! I've printed out your pub crawl, so I will be giving that a go and I'll let you know what I think of the places once I get back!!!

Thanks!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: McSorleys

Meant to ask too; we are in NY from Friday through to Thursday, so is it safe to presume that the pubs and taverns will be more lively on Friday and Saturday night??

Thanks

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: McSorleys

Depends on the place. Some draw heavily from office workers and are actually busier during the work week (though that tends to be an earlier crowd, for obvious reasons).

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: McSorleys

Don't get me wrong --- a beer is a beer but as Mel (who is a beer drinking expert) points out it is more of a tourist hang out than a local one so you are paying a "tourist tax" as I call it and locals don't need to do that... there are literally thousands of places in New York city to imbibe. There is nothing wrong with tourists wanting to go there and have a drink to say "I've been there and done that" I did the same thing at Harry's Bar in Venice where I paid some exhorbitant amount for a juice glass size drink of a Belini but now I can say I did that. So we get that. But don't expect any informed local to endorse it as a place to go have a few drinks for the sake of having a few drinks.

As far as tipping-- on average i come out at about 20%.. If i am running a tab and will see a bill then I wait till the end of the night and add it in.... If i am paying as I go I will usually have some single dollars available to give to the bartender as a tip based on approximately 15-20% so if a beer is $5 then i leave an extra dollar if it is $12 for 2 beers I might leave $2 and so on