We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elf - Has anyone seen it yet?

Scotland
Level Contributor
181 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Elf - Has anyone seen it yet?

I'm travelling to NYC in December with my mum (I'm 29 and she's 56) and we usually go to see a Christmas show, we've already seen the Radio City Christmas Spectacular (a few times), Wintuk and White Christmas. So I thought Elf might be a good option this year?

Was just wondering if any adults had been to see it and could lets us know if it's something that appeals to adults or is it more geared towards kids? We both loved the film and are like big kids anyway but just wondered what folks thoughts on it were.

I also can't find any press reviews yet.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
640 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elf - Has anyone seen it yet?

It's opening on Sunday night so you should be able to find some reviews of it on Monday. In the meantime, I saw it last week and although it's somewhat geared toward kids, I really enjoyed it . The music and dancing are nice and the performers are all very good so it's a nice alternative to the Radio City Christmas show this year.

Overall, it's pretty mindless entertainment but you'll leave with a smile on your face.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elf - Has anyone seen it yet?

It is only here until January 2nd and probably will never go down as a piece of real good theater but a lot of people like the schlocky stuff this time of year. if you and Mom are among them at least this will be something different so why not it's your money.

Scotland
Level Contributor
181 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elf - Has anyone seen it yet?

Thanks for the replies guys, we'll probably just go for it!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elf - Has anyone seen it yet?

I saw it tonight with my 11yo daughter. I really liked it, she said "it was ok".

I saw the movie once but don't remember much about it ... so I can't say if the story line is identical, etc.

LOTS, and I do mean LOTS of singing and dancing. But lots of adult humor (not crass humor) that would go right over the kids heads.

And because its been discussed here .... I have to mention, there is a scene involving Chinese food on Christmas, only in this case it's Christmas Eve. ;)

I have to say .... that this was the weirdest theatre-going experience I've had ... and not that I'm at the theatre every weekend ... I don't consider myself an expert but I've seen shows over the years, including those that attract kids such as the Nutcracker and Lion King and Mary Poppins.

The Hirshfeld theatre was pretty but odd. I love to settle into my seat 10-15 minutes before curtain and read my playbill. Well we had seats towards the back of the mezzanine and there are NO LIGHTS up there. Not that they weren't workign, but that they weren't visible anywhere ... there was not enough light to read and I didn't bring a flashlight. But that's not old ...

They sold food and drink and let you take it into the theatre. All beverages, except bottled water, came in a "sippy cup", a "resuable" hard plastic cup with a travel lid. First time I ever saw a highball glass with a sippy lid. And at intermission there was a 'hawker' in the theatre with bottled water and candy for sale. (I thought I had somehow been transported to Yankee Stadium!) And it seems the orchestra seat patrons were able to purchase popcorn. I saw it all over the floor when we left.

Maybe this is becoming commonplace, but honestly it was new to me. What happened to pre- and post-theatre dining? What's next "nachos" with the birghly colored fake cheese sauce?

All in all ... I enjoyed the show.

Edited: 13 November 2010, 04:53
Scotland
Level Contributor
181 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elf - Has anyone seen it yet?

Can you tell me what time the show finished at?

I'm going to make a dinner reservation for afterwards.

I'm thinking maybe Thalia but any other suggestions of a similar type of place near the theatre would be welcome!

Thanks.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elf - Has anyone seen it yet?

It started at 8 and I think we got out of the theatre 10:15 or 10:30 ish ... I'm not sure ... we got dessert to go from Juniors, tried unsuccessfully to hail a cab, waited in the taxi line at the Marriott, checked time, it was 11 ... waited a bit longer but the entire time, NO cabs came so we started walking ... Walked to 5th, took about 5-mins there to hail a cab and we were back at our hotel about 11:40.

Scotland
Level Contributor
181 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elf - Has anyone seen it yet?

Ok great well my showing is a 7pm start so I'll probably make reservations for 930 at Thalia. Thanks!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,970 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elf - Has anyone seen it yet?

In the mezzanine lobby area, is the exhibit still up about Al Hirschfeld?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elf - Has anyone seen it yet?

ztaks ... I don't recall seeing it, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss it.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elf - Has anyone seen it yet?

forgotmypword---great synopsis of the play! I wasn't sure if you had yet seen it but after finding this thread, I see you have. I have to say I got a chuckle envisioning a highball glass with a sippy lid LOL!