We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

subway safety in manhattan

Chicago
Level Contributor
222 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
subway safety in manhattan

Our family with 2 young kids is planning on using the subway heavily this weekend all over Manhattan. Does it ever get unsafe especially later in the evening?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: subway safety in manhattan

its very safe

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: subway safety in manhattan

No not at all , where the tourists go--- there may be some problems in the outlying areas between people who know each other but not where you would be. My wife takes it home from Midtown at midnight going to Brooklyn and the biggest problem is getting a seat because it is crowded.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: subway safety in manhattan

It is safe, but for short trips (Under 30 blocks or so) a cab is almost as much for four people.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: subway safety in manhattan

If you have an unlimited Metro card, the subway is the best way to go. I've never felt unsafe on the subway even going back to Queens at 1am or 2am. You'll be fine. It's very safe. You may see some interesting characters on there though. My kids think the subway is fun, but they do crack up at some people. :O) Late at night, you may see some homeless people on the subway, but don't worry, they're just there to rest. If you ever feel unsafe, just move cars or get out at the next stop, but I doubt this will be the case. :O)

Edited: 11 November 2010, 15:29
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: subway safety in manhattan

Not only is the subway very safe, but for some reason, kids usually seem to love it. They seem to be natural metronauts.

One under-rated museum is the NYC Transit Museum located in scenic Brooklyn Heights. It contains lots of great old subway cars and memoribilia. It is also a 15 minute walk down Atlantic Avenue from the amazing Pier 6 Playground [great for ages 2-8].

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: subway safety in manhattan

They are only here for the weekend an unlimited card is not best for them

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: subway safety in manhattan

RE the kids: Up to three children 44 inches tall and under ride for free on subways and local buses when accompanied by a fare paying adult.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: subway safety in manhattan

Well it could be. She said they were going to use it "heavily". So, you can get one for the day for $ 8.25 a piece. If they get it for the day, they're going to be using it "heavily" then it could be worth it. :O) We normally always do the unlimited card no matter what, they're cheap, and there's no need to worry about refilling. So, I guess it's up to the OP.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: subway safety in manhattan

KL we understand your kids cracking up at some of the strange people on the subway--- we do the same thing when we see people from Florida riding it.

Now have you got all your subway directions down from Brooklyn for your next stay ?

Chicago
Level Contributor
222 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: subway safety in manhattan

Kid are 7 & 9 and I'm sure we'll ride more than 4 times a day so I assume unlimited ride card is the way to go.