We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boqueria good for a large group for lunch?

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Topic
Boqueria good for a large group for lunch?

The number of people joining our group for Saturday's lunch continues to grow along with individual preferences. I thought tapas might be the way to go.

Would Boqueria be a good choice? I looked at ALTA, but they're not open for lunch and Boqueria was getting good reviews on this forum.

I'll call for reservations; are they generally OK with a group of 6-8 people?

Thank-you.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boqueria good for a large group for lunch?

Except a lot of recent menupage reviews have been focusing on the excessive use of salt. : (

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boqueria good for a large group for lunch?

Honestly, I have yet to find a tapas place in Manhattan that's made much of a favorable impression, but if you use the forum's Search function [and change the Sort filter to Date], perhaps that will retrieve threads where Crans has offered recent reco's -- and you can feel confident those would be trustworthy :-)

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boqueria good for a large group for lunch?

Interesting. I did find a few of Crans's recommendations (among others) but many tapas places aren't open for lunch.

CockleCove: Can you suggest a great place for a group of friends to meet for lunch? I don't want to take them to a Carmine's type of place nor a pub grub place. I hate to say it but I'm a little tired of Thai food so looking for something different.

Thanks.

Edited: 12 November 2010, 02:56
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boqueria good for a large group for lunch?

What's wrong with Pastis?

If you want tapas, what about Tia Pol? You can pick tapas or brunch.

http://www.tiapol.com/menu.html

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/tia-pol/

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boqueria good for a large group for lunch?

Sorry, a few in the party have been to Pastis and wanted to try something different.

Is Tia Pol not the ugliest restaurant in the city? It's also pretty small. It might do though.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boqueria good for a large group for lunch?

We're now up to 9 people. One of them is staying midtown with her son. She cancelled her hotel because of bb's. Heaven help me. She's hesitant to travel too far on her own.

I'm thinking Carmine's even though one asked for 'no Italian'? I can't drag 9 people into a little place and I really don't want burgers, fries and salads.

All ideas are appreciated and I've researched all prior recommendations. Thanks again, WB

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boqueria good for a large group for lunch?

Which Boqueria are you asking about? If it's the one in the Flatiron District, the food is great and the space would be fine if you're all going to be arriving at one time.

If you're worried about members of your group arriving at staggered times, I'd suggest La Nacional in the Spanish Benevolent Society:

nymag.com/listings/restaurant/La-Nacional/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boqueria good for a large group for lunch?

Let's start again. Who's in the this. 8 women and a boy? You want to eat what??? Carmine's imo is a terrible idea for a Sat. lunch. Don't eat in Times Square. You'll be dining with the matinee crowd. What about Blue Water Grill near Union Square. Lots of good discount shopping near Union Square and Blue Water Grill is big (it's inside a former bank) and has a varied menu including sushi and sashimi.

brguestrestaurants.com/restaurants/menus/BWG…

Another idea is the Garage in the village which is big, has live jazz and a bargain price fixed brunch (also a la carte)

http://www.garagerest.com/brunch.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boqueria good for a large group for lunch?

Didn't see AP's post. La Nacional looks great too!

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boqueria good for a large group for lunch?

Hi. Replying fr. Blackberry. No kids. 9 women with too many opinions all arriving en masse for lunch tmrw. Tia