We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Opinions Please...

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Opinions Please...

Hello everyone!!

Here's our plan... opinions / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Day 1 - Wednesday - Land @ 6 am @ JFK

Drop bags off @ hotel

Subway to LDS Temple

Subway to Cathedral of St. John the Divine

Take a stroll through the upper part of Central Park

Explore Arthur Avenue in The Bronx - eat lunch here somewhere here

Back to hotel - check in, change for the evening

Rockettes Show

Dinner @ Gordon Ramsay Restaurant

Day 2 Thanksgiving Day - Watch parade from our room (we have a parade view room with windows that open so we can hear too...YAY!!!)

Jimmy Fallon Show @ 1 pm

See what there is to see @ Rockefeller Center / Radio City Music Hall

Lunch @ ________ (where ever)

If nice weather - Empire State Building

If bad weather - do whatever

See Times Square stuff

Dinner @ Blue Fin in Times Square

Friday - Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island @ 8 am

Lunch somewhere

See these things in no particular order...

Ground Zero / St. Paul's Cathedral

Wall Street / Nassau Street

South Street Seaport ( is this cool to see or not??)

Brooklyn Bridge / Brooklyn

China Town / Canal Street

Little Italy

(Dinner somewhere along the way)

Wicked Show @ 8 pm

Saturday - personal things to do until 10 am or so

Then see these in no particular order...

St. Patrick's Cathedral

Grand Central

UN Building

Fifth Avenue

Empire State Bldg. if we didn't see it on Thursday

Lower part of Central Park

Lunch where ever along the way

Dinner either at Francisco's Centro Vasco or The Pearl Oyster Bar - opinions on both??

Salsa dancing (if we can find a place) or just dancing somewhere else if we can't.

Sunday - sleep in, go to church, go home.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Monica

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Opinions Please...

Monica,

Make sure you have a specific address on Arthur Avenue that you want to go to. We wanted to go there one time too, and we were up at Yankee Stadium and asked a couple of the policeman the best way to get there. They didn't know where it was, and then another officer came up who knew where it was, but he said there was no easy way to get there. He said we would need to take a cab and that a lot of cab drivers wouldn't know where it was either so we should have an address to give them. Anyway, long story short, we had no address; so we couldn't go. They also told us how to get there, but they said it was not a safe walk. So, anyway, I think an address will help you!

Kristy :O)

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Opinions Please...

Arthur Avenue & Belmont, great place to visit.

Not really that hard to get to Arthur Avenue, a few ways,

Metro North to Fordham Road, Harlem Line or Botanical Garden & walk,

Subway to Bronx Zoo stop and walk,

any subway to Fordham Road and Fordham Road bus to Pelham Bay Park / City Island,

all on the MTA links.

http://www.mta.info/maps/

Edited: 12 November 2010, 18:01
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Opinions Please...

Urban.........do you have to walk through a bad neighborhood or something to get there? The officer was pretty adimit that we should not walk, and it was broad daylight. I mean I'm sure it must be safe, or I know you wouldn't be advising people to do it. It just irritates me that the officer told us that because I really wanted to go there, and the Bronx is nowhere on my radar this trip. I guess I'll have to try it again on another visit. :O)

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Opinions Please...

***Opps meant adamant........I don't know why TA only allows you a certain amount of time to edit your posts. :O)

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Opinions Please...

klmurphy,

Great question !!!

I would have no problem walking around in daylight, and it's really a special place to go to. You are very close to Fordham University & Zoo visitors. Wonderul place to food shop if you have storage facilities in your hotel room. Could lead to good snacking, and the resultant weight gain, which you can always walk off !!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Opinions Please...

travelbugzz--- you do realize I hope that Chef Ramsay is no longer here as he was kicked out of town and has nothing to do with that restaurant right ? What hotel are you in for the parade and did they sell it to you as a parade view room/ The reason is if you are too high up you will get a very distorted view of the parade looking down but I imagine there are some rooms that could be prime viewing but if they are not being sold that way it probably won't work.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Opinions Please...

Subway to LDS Temple

Subway to Cathedral of St. John the Divine

Take a stroll through the upper part of Central Park

Explore Arthur Avenue in The Bronx - eat lunch here somewhere here

Very energetic of you, would love to read your trip report.

If the LDS Temple is important to you, you will probably spend more than 2 minutes there. St John the Divine is amazing http://www.stjohndivine.org/index.html.

The Upper Part of Central Park (arriving from St J D) includes the wonderful North Woods where you will get lost, the Dana Discovery Center which hopefully will still have the exhibit about the Park's trees centralparknyc.org/visit/things-to-see/north…

It'll be a bit of a walk before you find the 6 train to connect to whichever train goes to Arthur Ave -- I forget ( actually -- you can probably get there with the 2 or 3 so you will save some time there).

Seriously - Have a GREAT time - don't get locked into your itinerary - you can always come back and Congratulations on a parade view room wherever it is.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/nyc-visitor-tools/

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Opinions Please...

Day 1 Suggestions

Start at St. John,s, Come downtown to the LDS Temple (I'm assuming you mean the one by Lincoln Center) Check out Lincoln Center the Fountain. Then enter Central park from downtown (there is so much more in this area)

Skip Aurthur ave. as said it is not east to get to (even for locals) so to do it on you first date would be a sin.

Grab lunch at the Central Park Boat house they have a choice of formal table service or casual cafe style (and last week end they had the rowboats out still -rent one if they're still doing it it's a blast).

Day 2

In Rock Center there are places to eat with views of the ice skating rink. It is fun to watch and gets you into that holiday mood.

ESB is open until 2am, so you could always pop by in the night time if the lines are too extraordinary and you don't want to spend your day in a line.

Day 3

Lunch at the World Financial Center it has several options and views of the Hudson right by the NYC Yacht club. Their lobby also has the best view inside view of the WTC construction site.

http://www.worldfinancialcenter.com/

South Street Seaport is cool walk to the Pier where the boats are and it has the best view of the river and the bridges between Brooklyn and Manhattan.

On the top floor of the mall you could grab a coffee or tea and take in the wonderful view.

Day 4

St. Patrick's is right across from Rockefeller Plaza you should try to work it in earlier when you are there, but if you plan to go to the shops on 5th Ave (between 42nd and 59th) I guess you could do it this day too. Between 2-5pm the Plaza Hotel (59th and 5th)has Afternoon tea in their Palm Court (right off the main lobby) You get sandwiches, cakes, and a pot of tea (it is $45usd pp) it is a great place to relax after shopping. No one rushes you and it is a lavish environment.

On Thursdays Club Cache has a Salsa night close to (where you'll be) Times Square (don't know about on Thanksgiving -you can email them and ask)

http://www.clubcachenyc.com/index.html

Edited: 12 November 2010, 18:30
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Opinions Please...

We will get a specific address for Arthur Avenue if we need a taxi - thank you for the tip!!

HAPPY for the directions to Arthur Avenue - thank you!

That's okay that Chef Ramsay is no longer there. We're excited for it anyways. We're staying at The Manhattan at Times Square on 7th Avenue. We did book our room as a "Parade View Room" with "excellent view" status so hopefully we'll be okay with it!! :)

You're right... we'll probably only spend a few minutes at the LDS temple that day but it's a must see for us.

Thanks for the info on Central Park... I wasn't sure what to see on the top part of it!!

Monica

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Opinions Please...

Thanks for all the FOOD info MTI!! I will work some of those into the plan!!