We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Engagement Ring New York

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Engagement Ring New York

Hi, I will be in New York next month for two weeks and I want to buy an engagement ring and propose to my girlfriend whilst there.

I have been offered a good deal on a ring by Natalia's Dimaonds (in the Diamond District) - has anyone ever dealt with this business? I also came accross Peter Germano from forums on this website - any advice / recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
132 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,098 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,615 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Engagement Ring New York

I would not buy a ring from a random store in the diamond district unless I had a personal recommendation. How did you find Natalia's? What kind of "deal" have they offered you?

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Engagement Ring New York

I have been dealing with Peter Germano for over 30 years - trust him implicitly!

There are many new comers on 47th Peter's father, also Peter started their business over 60 years ago - I trust them.

Just my observations - they deal in quality and anything we have purchased from them has been appraised much higher in price than we have paid.

I've sent many TA Forum people there anyone care to relate their positive experiences???

Poppa

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Engagement Ring New York

now that is the kind of recommendation you need to shop in the Diamond district-- don't just go anywhere. I do not know Natalia's what is your reference point.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Engagement Ring New York

Well, right off the bat, I'll say that I'm not impressed that my random wandering through Natalia's web site shows that you're not getting a GIA or AGS or even an EGL-USA report with most of the rings they sell. Rather, the rings are typically accompanied by something called an "appraisal report" from the Gemological Appraisal Laboratory of America which is really bare bones. Heck, I could probably give you, based on a naked eye examination, as much information as is on the GAL reports I saw on the web site -- and I'm no jeweler! (or even a big fan of diamonds) . Note too that GAL expressly states that their appraisals are for insurance purposes, i.e., the stated retail value is probably inflated beyond the usually hefty retail mark-up. Bottom line: that appraisal report is pretty worthless imo for purchasing purposes.

Another possibility in addition to the Peter Germano reco's given here, Engagement Rings Direct.

http://engagementringsdirect.com

Although primarily an internet retailer, Engagement Rings Direct does have a shop in Manhattan and are well regarded on PriceScope forums, a favorite of diamond devotees. Spend some time on PriceScope [they offer good tutorials on purchasing a diamond, maintain a database re: diamond prices, etc.], which nywhiz already hot-linked for you.

And I strongly recommend that you get a copy of "Diamonds - Antoinette Matlin's Buying Guide" (Gemstone Press); it's the book my former father-in-law, who worked for William Barthman, the high end jeweler in the Financial District here in NYC, thought every consumer should read before buying a diamond. Here's the AmazonUK page for it:

amazon.co.uk/Diamonds-Antoinette-Matlins-Buy…

Edited: 12 November 2010, 23:27
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Engagement Ring New York

Hola.

The NYC "Diamond District" has a lot of name recognition, but unless you know someone there, or have a lot of knowledge about gems, we do not recommend that you start your quest there.

Rather, we would like to suggest that (together) you and your girlfriend go to the finer jewelers in NYC, not necessary to buy, but to see and try-on and LEARN about the really “good stuff”. The staff at the finer shops are generally accommodating and informative and will teach you things about how to recognize better quality….and will use the better quality gems to show you. In this way, if you ultimately go to "Diamond District" or other less expensive jewelers you will have acquired some knowledge about how to purchase gems and you will already know the qualitative differences.

For us going to the following stores is like going to gem museums where the finest of the finest is displayed for your pleasure; at least once per year, especially between now and Christmas, we make the “rounds” to see what’s being offered (and priced) at:

- Cartier, Fifth Avenue and 52nd Street

- H.Stern, Fifth Avenue between 51st & 52nd Streets

- Van Cleef & Arpels, Fifth Avenue between 57th & 58th Streets

Remember that diamonds are forever, so buy something you love.

Hope this helps.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Edited: 12 November 2010, 23:44
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Engagement Ring New York

Just make her day and take her to tiffany s! You wont be sorry... It wont be that much more and t whole experiance was wonderful... Even t champagne! My wife still talks about t day i took her to tiffanys... This is t symbol u love her forever... Push t boat out dont worry about t cost... U should not be looking for a good deal on an engagement ring!!!

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Engagement Ring New York

Mark - not everyone has the resources to fluff off high prices - diamonds come in all qualities and sizes and of course prices.

I know many people who have purchased a lower priced stone and in later life when careers were established - upgraded.

Yet, to each his/her own just relating some of the reality of the situation.

Poppa

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Engagement Ring New York

Thanks everyone for all your advice. I think I will rule Natalia's diamond out. Thanks Poppa for your recomendation on Peter Germano - has anybody else dealt with Peter Germano and if you so could you please offer some feedback. I don't see the point in buying the exact same diamond / ring in one of the big stores for $5000 - $7000 more when you can get an identical item in the Diamond District. I am not being tight I would prefer to take a nice holiday next year with this saving and I know my girlfriend would agree. I do want to get a very nice ring and I have already exchanged emails with Peter Germano so if I could hear from a couple more people who have dealt with him that should confirm my decision. Many Thanks Again!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Engagement Ring New York

Even my former father-in-law, who was in the jewelry trade, winced when people pushed the idea that you should spend X percentage of your salary on an engagement ring, etc. The notion -- first pitched by the De Beers cartel after World War II -- that the worth of a man, or his love for a woman, is measured by how much he spends on the engagement ring was anathema to him [and I agree!].

If you type Peter Germano in the forum Search box, right above your first post here, you'll retrieve past threads about people's experiences there, including this one which started off with a post asking about Natalia's Diamonds:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2249885…

10. Re: Engagement Ring New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 02:35
Edited: 03 January 2011, 02:35