We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 2011 family visit

Herts, UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
May 2011 family visit

Hi, we are returning to NYC in May (20th - 27th) next year with 2 boys (14 + 11) the eldest has been to NYC before as have my wife and I. Please could you offer any advice on the following:

Hotels - any recommendations? I previously stayed at Wellington and Affinia Manhattan but we are open to suggestions further outside of the busy areas, 2 double beds would be fine. Budget ideally $200 a night max, also when is good to get the best price?

Things to do - apart from the main attractions any recommendations of things to do? Boys like sports so thinking of a Rangers game if the season is in progress. Other interests would be shopping for all of us, films, and we would like to see a bit more of the "real" NYC like neighbourhoods and a bit of its history. Are Coney Island (theme park) and Woodbury Common recommended?

Food - any decent non franchise restaurants? We are pretty much happy to eat anything, italian, chinese, Indian, Mexican and want to avoid the like of TGI's .

I appreciate a lot of this will be down to individual taste but keen to get some alternative ideas that may not be found in online toursit pages.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Wes

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,921 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 2011 family visit

$200/night for a room for 4 will be somewhat of a challenge. The Eastgate Tower looks to be a good option. It's owned by the same co. as the Affinia Manhattan and has both studio (all one room) and 1 bedroom suites around $200/night with 2 beds depending on whether you prepay or not. Unless you can find some better options, I'd book that as cancelable and wait to see if there are sales on

travelzoo.com

travel-ticker.com

for better options.

It's in midtown on the east side not far from Grand Central. The Embassy Suites would be a great option (all 1 bedroom suites) located downtown but their website doesn't want to show May availability. Discount pricing for May should show up around March.

Things to do

May is baseball season! The Yankees or the Mets should be playing some home games. They might enjoy going to Chelsea Piers and actually doing some sports. The Intrepid Air & Space Museum might be fun. A cruise, maybe a visit to Governor's Island and yes, Coney Island will be in fully swing. Greenwich Village and the area around Union Square is popular with teens.

There's lots of information in the Top Questions on NYC is the column on the right side of the page and also in the larger FAQ here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1948627…

on shopping, dining and exploring the various neighborhoods. Have fun planning. ;)

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 2011 family visit

You will also be there at the beginning of Fleet Week - The Navy(s) will be in town - go to the Intrepid.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 2011 family visit

I have two boys also, and the 1st time I took them to NYC, they were the same ages as your two. Here were some highlights from their trip:

Stomp (Off Broadway Show)

Riding Bikes through Central Park

Bowling at Chelsea Pier

Dave & Busters (Times Square)

Top of the Rock

Museum of Natural History

Double Decker Bus Tour

They really liked John's Pizza, Jekyll and Hyde (theme restaurant), and Caliente Cab (Mexican). The food at Jekyll and Hyde is okay (not bad, but definitely not great). I wouldn't go there without the kids, but they really liked it. So, it made it fun for everyone.

It was definitely a different kind of trip with them tagging along, but overall, everyone had a good time. :O)

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,105 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 2011 family visit

Coney Island is a good trip. The aquarium there has one of the best selections of captive sharks (and a decent concession stand too-if you're not full on hot dogs from Nathan's) the Wonder Wheel and the Cyclone are the two most iconic rides at Coney Island's amusement park. I'm disappointed they killed the mini golf course, but at least your family will be safe from my wife's neurotic swing.

I also second Stomp and Chelsea Piers (check out the HiLine park and Chelsea Market too).

Also to the bike riding I'd like to add the rowboats at central park boat house.

I would also recommend going for a look at Union Square Park, and Washington Square Park (where New York University's main campus is) there are always street preformers and unusual village people that make NYC fun.

For hotels space is tight so pools are very rare, and to some this is no big deal, but w/ two kids at that age it would be nice to have some recreation right there at the hotel, so I would consider the Millennium UN Plaza. The reviews all say the pool is nice and the views are nice, but service needs to be improved (on the bright side this keeps the prices fair, and makes it a pretty good deal)-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d209382-…

For food:

@$10usd pp-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23076-Cheap_Ea…

Nicer places ($20 -$40usd pp)-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23075-Best_NYC…

Happy Planning & Have fun!

Edited: 15 November 2010, 19:43
Herts, UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: May 2011 family visit

Thanks for all your help. Due to other issues we are now changing to the last week of March, UN Plaza is coming up really cheap so very tempted with this but need to read reviews first.

Sydney
Level Contributor
166 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 2011 family visit

My children (7 and 10) really liked:

- Central Park

- Museum of Natural History ( the Planetarium part)

- lion King

- TOTR

- Nintendo World

- Toys R Us

- NBA Store

- Times Square

- Brooklyn Bridge

- ESB

To be honest they loved every bit of NYC. They will have a great time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,921 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May 2011 family visit

The UN Plaza is a great location with wonderful views BUT to my knowledge they have no rooms that will accommodate 4 people apart from a pricey suite. I do see that hotels.com has a room with 2 doubles listed but I just don't know if that exists. The hotel's own website doesn't show that option nor does it seem to want to take any reservations beyond March 24 so I would phone them to check this out.

Herts, UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: May 2011 family visit

Thanks, I have emailed UN Plaza to confirm.

Hoboken, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: May 2011 family visit

Wow, this is the second post i see about woodburry today i didnt know i was attracting so much ppl!

I go there when i am on the east coast. the sales preiod there are just amazing, the prices are awesome! besides it's really a family place i'm sure your boys will find what they are looking for as well.

When i went to NYC for the first time, my parents had booked the week for me with usacitytours.com. and i really can't remember the name of the company who did that so you'd have to check that with them but we had the boat tour of the statue of liberty, there was one boat that was painted kind of like a dragon, the other one like a shark, and we'd race all the way to the island, we had water guns and the staff was super friendly.

i'm sorry i don't remember the name but check it out your boys would love it for sure!!

usacitytours had customized the whole week for us so that we would have things to do for the parents and things to do for the teenagers. (like this restaurant that you can only access through a "spaceship" and where the waiters are all costumed...)

lots af very funny things i keep a great souvenir of it. and my parents too!

you should give them a call, knowing my parents i'm sure the prices were very reasonnable.

let me know how that went!

good luck

Herts, UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: May 2011 family visit

Thanks but to be honest we tour ourselves, that way we can go where we like when we like. Stop somewhere someone else wouldnt and everything. I have been twice before so know roughly where im heading most of the time. We are thinking about a Big Apple Greeter if we can get one as I have read they are very good. Does anyone know roughly when March hotel dates would be best to book price wise? For now I am going to book something I can cancel