We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whirlwind Weekend Trip/Want to do as much as possible...

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Whirlwind Weekend Trip/Want to do as much as possible...

Greetings, fellow travellers! First time coming to The Big Apple -- arriving Friday night, December 3rd about 8:30. Staying at the MIllford Plaza. I am usually a very discriminating traveller -- I like/book the "nicer" hotels, but since we are only going to be in our room from 8:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. the next day, I wanted to go for a cheap hotel so we have more cash for our fun-filled trip. My question to you is....when we get to NYC at 8:30 and check in our hotel, what would you suggest we do after that? I'm told we should eat dinner and to tot the Top of the Rock. We have to be at Radio City the next day (saturday) to watch the 9:00 show. After the show ends at 10:30 a.m., what would you suggest we do from there? I have to admit, we're quite nervous about taking public transportation (never done it anywhere, not even here in Baltimore!). We'd love to either walk everywhere, or find a tour that will take us around safely and show us as much as possible. Me, my husband, and 2 14-year old girls will be touring together. I have no idea of what restaurants to go to to eat...I'm a country bumpkin heading into the biggest city -- and I could use some advice, please..... Thank you in advance!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whirlwind Weekend Trip/Want to do as much as possible...

How long is your visit?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,268 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whirlwind Weekend Trip/Want to do as much as possible...

Assuming I'm reading this correctly and you really only have the one day (Saturday) to see everything, then you a) shouldn't waste your time with a tour bus, and b) should start reading subway maps now. The subway is very easy, and there's no reason to be scared of it. If you can read signs, you can navigate the subway. What are you interested in seeing?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whirlwind Weekend Trip/Want to do as much as possible...

That's why I asked how long your visit is. If it's just the 1 day, you need to make a list of the places you absolutely HAVE to see and we'll help you figure out how to do it on your own unless you want to hire a private tour guide. A bus for that Sat. is a bad idea. Only other idea is

realnewyorktours.com

which uses subway and walking to get around.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whirlwind Weekend Trip/Want to do as much as possible...

If you'll be here for 24 hours, and it seems that way, you are very close and in walking distance to many NYC attractions. See the map links.

http://www.nytab.com/images/Midtown.pdf

mustseenewyork.com/maps/theatre-district-map…

mustseenewyork.com/maps/central-park-attract…

One day ideas.

frommers.com/destinations/…0021020766.html

Better views from TOTR during the day, but kind of nice at night as well !!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
122 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whirlwind Weekend Trip/Want to do as much as possible...

I don't know if this will help you but...we are arriving on a Saturday around noon, planning to hit as many of the midtown attractions as possible with the goal of seeing as many "Christmas-y" things as possible including Rockefeller Center tree, American Museum of Natural History origami tree, Metropolitan Museum of Art tree and creche, Grand Central Terminal light show, window displays, and maybe a holiday market or two.

On Day Two, we are doing a Real New York Tour of downtown (10-1) and then checking out as many attractions in that area as well starting with Ground Zero/St. Paul's Chapel.

We are planning to use a New York Pass for these two days and plotting exactly what we want to see where (I'm not there yet ;-)).

On Day 3 (Monday), we are going to see the Rockettes at 11 am and then will have a couple of hours to hang out before our flight out.

While I have confidence that we are going to figure out the subways and that you could too, you could use taxis to go from area to area of places you want to visit and walk otherwise.

I've read good reviews of both Real New York Tours and Marvelous Manhattan Tours (shuttle bus) and there are many options.

Hope this helps you get started (I'm not much ahead of you :))!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whirlwind Weekend Trip/Want to do as much as possible...

Yep, you have had good advice plus links to sort you out.

A good & cheap diner on your travel is

Skylight Diner

402 W34 St www.skylightdinernyc.com

You can check out menus at or near your hotel on- menu pages.com and note down a few places near areas where you are traveling/visiting

As/if only short trip I would do as suggested and note definate places to see and write down subway directions

It can be overwelming initially- I don't mean scarey or that king of think -just exciting to easy to get sidetracked- a plan may be useful for you!!

ENJOY!

Edited: 16 November 2010, 07:57
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whirlwind Weekend Trip/Want to do as much as possible...

Don't make the same mistake that annecolorgreen is making by getting the NYPASS . It rarely is a good investment and with your short stay it will be more of a hindrance. There are some combo tickets like MOMA and top of the rock

8. Re: Whirlwind Weekend Trip/Want to do as much as possible...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2011, 07:17