We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas on if it can be done

UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas on if it can be done

Hiya

I am hoping someone can help. Me and hubby would really like to visit NY and I am thinking of maybe April 2012. I was just wondering:

- Where are the cheapest UK airports to fly from (we are in West Mids) and the best budget airline?

- Is it cheaper to go a different month in the year?

- Also what hotel is recommended, we would like an ensuite double room for 3 or 4 nights.

I was thinking of trying to get the trip for £1000 and take around £500 spending. We are happy to just walk around and see the sites and eat fast food if that makes it a little cheaper! Lol.

Any tips and ideas on approx how much a trip and spending money is needed would be great!!!

Thank you.

x

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Ballymena, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas on if it can be done

Hi Sweetcheeks

I can only answer from the point of view of booking 2 trips to NYC - more well-travelled UK to NYC travellers will be able to advise you specifically...

For flights, use kayak.co.uk. You can select several different airports and check a calendar with the lowest prices for a given month. I'm not aware of budget airlines flying to the US. Check now to see what flight prices are like - as a general guide I paid £350 ish per person for a trip planned in July for this month (albeit flying from Dublin).

To keep your hotel budget down you could try priceline.com and bid for rooms. Check out the betterbidding.com site for bidding advise and note that your bid doesn't include taxes.

You don't specify whether your budget is for both you and hubby or per person. If for both of you, I'm afraid it may be near on impossible to find what you want for that price.

Spending money is relative - what you want to do etc. Again, regular visitors/locals may be able to advise further.

My t'pence worth anyhow...

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas on if it can be done

There is no way you can do flights and 3/4 nights stay for 2 people for only £1000, unless you meant £1000 each?

There are no budget airlines that fly to NYC - the suggestion of kayak.com is a very good one.

The cheapest airport tends to be Heathrow.

Impossible to advise you on what hotel would suit - what kind of hotel do you want? You will not get good rates this far out.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,109 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas on if it can be done

You'll get your cheapest hotels in January (from January 3rd or 4th on). I've gotten decent hotel prices in mid-April, but January is definitely cheaper.

Edited: 16 November 2010, 11:49
UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas on if it can be done

Hiya

Thanks for the replies. I am not looking at booking yet but am getting ideas on how much I would need to spend etc. I have had a chat with someone from work who got flights for £250pp!! I have had a little look into it also and it is poss to get flights and hotel for a little over £1000 which isnt too bad. I am going to keep an eye out for the bargains!!

We would like to see the usual Empire State, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Top of the Rock, Times Sq etc etc etc. I have a while to look into it some more so will hopefully become more wise as the days go by. Lol.

Anymore tips would be greatly received! Thanks again guys.

x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas on if it can be done

It is possible yes but for limited dates in say Jan and Feb, which I wouldnt fancy myself. £250 each is very very low actually - a figure around £350 each is pretty good so not sure how they got flights for £250, especially not recently as flights are more expensive than they have been for a while.

Also who knows what the prices will be in 2012 - I think you will need possibly to increase your budget. Hotels in NYC are pretty expensive.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas on if it can be done

Find out WHEN your friend from work got flights for 250gbp. Flight prices have gone up pretty dramatically in the last few months. I think if you can find flights for 300gbp each, you're doing well. It's always worth checking air/hotel pkgs. but they're not always the best option. You can sometimes find air/hotel for 3 nights for 500gbp each.

Kayak has a feature called fare charts (on the upper left corner AFTER you've done a search) that shows which days of the month are cheapest in the month you're searching and how the current price compares to the price for those dates in the last 6 months. It looks like Feb/March is currently cheaper than Jan, but the prices right now are not as good as they were a month or two ago but they're headed down.

I would avoid taking a flight that requires a change of planes, even though those are often cheaper. The time you waste and the potential for lost luggage can often make cost savings disappear (if you have to buy stuff on arrival to replace what you're missing etc.) Also, for a short visit, minimizing travel time is important. Make sure you factor in costs of getting to whatever airport you pick. Sometimes it might pay to go with a more expensive flight that's closer to home. If you save 40gbp/ticket to fly from London, you might wind up spending more getting there and sometimes even need to stay overnight. 500gbp is overkill for spending money for a 3-4 night trip unless you're planning of shopping til you drop.

UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas on if it can be done

Hiya

Thanks for the reply. They booked through expedia and went in month of Feb. I have had a look at kayak.com and the prices are quite good on there. I will keep my eyes and ears open and even if we dont make it there this time in life maybe in years to come! I am 27 so got time still. Lol.

UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas on if it can be done

Thanks nywhiz! I dont plan on doing any clothes shopping. That will just be for food and the sights I was thinking it may not be enough! I am happy to walk around all day as I walk to and from work everyday and I walk most everyhwere else aswell so will go prepared!! Lol.

South London
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas on if it can be done

£950 with Kuwait AIrlines direct from London Heathrow and Pennsylvania hotel with Dialaflight (uk) in March for 4 nights. or around £1050 from Brum direct.

There are no 'budget' airlines that run the route. And you need to get booking. April you have no chance due to the Easter break and rise in hotel prices.

Edited: 16 November 2010, 15:06
Mentioned in this post
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,174 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas on if it can be done

The Hotel Pennsylvania is AWFUL, and is going to be torn down. There is a reason such packages are so cheap - they put you in the hotels that no one would ever pick on their own.