We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Thanksgiving week--Suggestions Please

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Thanksgiving week--Suggestions Please

I will be visiting NYC next week with my husband and two children (daughter age 6 and son age 7). I have only been to NYC once, and it was a whirlwind trip, so we are basically first time visitors. We will be staying at the Warwick on W 54th between 5th and 6th. I realize that there is NO way to see everything in a few short days, and I would prefer not to overcrowd my days and make everyone miserable! Here is a preliminary itinerary. Please look it over and make suggestions. Thanks in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Monday: Arrive at Airport 1:00 (Carmel Car Service)

Check in to Hotel

Rockefeller Center

Times Square

Considering 48 hr HOHO bus tour.....purchase Mon night and do night Bus Tour

Tuesday:

Breakfast somewhere near the hotel

St Patrick's Cathedral

Chinatown

Brooklyn Bridge

Rockefeller Center

7:00- We have tickets to see the Lion King

Wednesday:

Central Park---Zoo for sure

Museum of Natural History (this is a MUST)

Watch the Parade floats being inflated 5:00

Thursday:

Parade: Arrive 6:00

Grand Central Park

Bryant Park (Christmas Market ?)

Friday:

Breakfast near the hotel

Leave for airport

I would also like us to do the staten island ferry (isn't that the free one that has limited views of the statue of liberty?)

Please make suggestions on additions, deletions, and order. Thanks!!

1. Re: Itinerary for Thanksgiving week--Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 03:28
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Thanksgiving week--Suggestions Please

Excuse the error. I meant Grand Central Station.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Thanksgiving week--Suggestions Please

You know what, I was going to leave it at apologies for my "error", but I feel the need to get something off my chest. Over the past several months, as I read through the posts on this forum with much excitement and anticipation, I couldn't help but notice the large number of SNARKY remarks made to visitors about mistakes that ANYONE could easily make when typing a post. Even when the mistake was in need of correction, such as the need to reference cross streets when giving an address, it was often times made in a rude manor. Maybe it's just my inherent southern charm and hospitality, but I still believe that a little common courtesy goes a LONG way.

I was so excited about posting my itinerary, and couldn't wait to get the first reply. As soon as the email came through on my phone I rushed to check it, and was met with guess what? That's right, a reply that was heavy on the unnecessary corrections and light on the helpful advice. Thanks for nothing! I can see where the New Yorker Stereotype comes from! Did you REALLY not know what I meant when I ACCIDENTALLY added Park to the end of Grand Central....especially when it came right before Bryant Park? And last time I checked, BALLOONS FLOATED!! I don't care what they inflate, as long as we are there to see it, and my kids are happy!

Now, I would appreciate any HELPFUL suggestions or reviews of my less-than-perfect itinerary, MINUS any RUDE or SNARKY remarks. Excuse my ranting, but enough is enough! People who post here are planning a trip to your wonderful city, usually using money that they worked really hard to save. So have a heart or keep it to yourself.

4. Re: Itinerary for Thanksgiving week--Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 03:30
Edited: 18 November 2010, 03:30
NY NY
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for Thanksgiving week--Suggestions Please

Wow, I'm glad I missed the snarkiness. How rude!

I'm not much for itineraries, but I'll try to help. The most important thing to consider is the crowds. No matter how prepared you think you'll be, believe me, you can't imagine it! I used to go to the balloon inflation, back when it was an unknown event. The last time I went, we had a couple of kids with us who never got to see anything because we were forced to snake through, single file, and it took half an hour to get one block. Obviously, it's part of the holiday tradition, so I'm sure you'll have a look. And dress very warmly, it's always cold.

I did the "Holiday Lights" HOHO bus a couple of years ago, and wasn't impressed at all. They must be popular for a reason, because they're always packed this time of the year. I was disappointed that the guide was terrible (he was pointing out stores where his friends worked, but he didn't know any of the major landmarks), and besides, we were stuck in traffic most of the time.

Again, because of the crowds, I suggest you hit the holiday fairs as early as you can (the opening hours are on their web sites). My favorites are Bryant Park, Grand Central, and Union Square.

Don't go out of your way to see Times Square. It's best at night, and you'll be seeing it on your way to the theater anyway.

Make sure your kids know what to do in the event you are separated in the crowd.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for Thanksgiving week--Suggestions Please

Thanks for the great advice! That is exactly what I was looking for! I was unsure about the HOHO bus tour, so we may spend that money on something else. We plan on spending most of Wednesday at the Museum of Natural History, and wrapping it up with the balloon inflation, so if it is too crowded to enjoy we will just pass on by....we are VERY flexible, and would rather miss something than be miserable just to say we did! Great suggestion for making a plan with the kiddos in case we get seperated (cringe!). Thanks for the help, I'm not much on itineraries myself, we usually just go with the flow.....I am hesitant to try that in NYC with kids for the first time since everything is on such a larger scale than we are used to. Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for Thanksgiving week--Suggestions Please

Boy - I'm glad someone gave you "non-snarky" advice - quite an interesting response, sort of a written hissy fit.

Being correct/accurate about places, things, objects is not, IMO, a bad thing.

You were not being picked on, in fact your itinerary, not that I am much of fan of them either, was OK.

And you were advised about the weather.

So, as I often tell people who get their dander up, CHILL, you'll live longer.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for Thanksgiving week--Suggestions Please

St Pat's is right across from Rockefeller Center..Maybe you could fit it in the first day..

Then you could leave Tuesday as your "downtown" day, although I see Rockefeller Center on Tuesday,too..Maybe add in the Staten Island Ferry on Tuesday, as that would be dowtown,too.If you start early, you can fit it in, ESP if you are taking the subway..

Grand Central and Bryant Park are close to each other so no worries there..You may also want to have a look at the NYPublic Library, since you'll be so close

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for Thanksgiving week--Suggestions Please

Yes Monday when the public library is open, take the kids to the Children's library at 42nd Street http://www.nypl.org/locations/schwarzman

you will pass through a crowded TS along the way and much as I'd like to meet your family on a bus - this time of year - the kids'll freeze or fidgit in traffic and there are better ways to spend your time.

If you wanted to do something Monday night, take the subway to South Ferry and do the Staten Island Ferry which was suggested earlier. The night views of the skyline and statue are great and you can stay inside or go out if there is outside space for a few minutes and explore the boat with the kids. You don't have to be seated the whole time.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for Thanksgiving week--Suggestions Please

You know who could use some of that "southern charm and hospitality" is all of the people executed in your state. I for one am tired of people telling us about 'inherent southern charm and hospitality" You know where the NYer sterotypes come from --- ignorant people --- People here are just more forward and blunt- because it is different than this phony "how you all doin" crap

So believe me people from your state have not cornered the market on being nice. Far from it