We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grayline or City Sights better?

O'Fallon, Illinois
9 posts
Save Topic
Grayline or City Sights better?

I'm trying to decide between the two for myself and my mother. The City Sights seems nice since it includes the harbor cruise, but how do the two compare?

Thanks!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grayline or City Sights better?

Most people here recommend that you look at doing just one loop of the city and staying on the bus not hop on hop off and you can get other things like the cruises on other discount site. It takes more planning but you can get around fine and most people should be using the subway and bus system to get around.

O'Fallon, Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grayline or City Sights better?

Thanks for the info, but it's cheaper to book the ticket as one. $49 per person for the all in one or $39 for one loop + $31 for the harbor cruise. I don't think we'd do the hop on hop off too much, but would probably go on at least 2 of the loops. Just really wondering which of the two is better.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grayline or City Sights better?

I would think that they are pretty much the same.

For what it is worth, we used City Sights and found them very good.

icf
stoke on trent
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grayline or City Sights better?

My choice would be the subway tbh,a lot cheaper plus also with the time of year if your going in the next couple of months the conditions on the top of that bus will be extreme to say the least,

Darren

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grayline or City Sights better?

We've used City Sights twice in the past and found them to be really good too. I think the hop on/ hop off buses are great for getting acclimated to the city, and I really enjoyed it both times. Like Bilmin said, I would use them for transportation; I would just use them to pick out the places you want to go and then go back later using the subway or bus. We did City Sights on our first trip to NYC in 07 and again in 09 when we took some friends with us, and they enjoyed it as well. I'm pretty sure the loops are the same for the two companies, although the main difference with using City Sights at least back in 2007 was that on the Brooklyn loop (if you decide to do this), they let you out at the Ice Cream Shop right by The River Cafe'. A lot of people go have ice cream, but we just took pictures of the Mahattan skyline. It was nighttime, and it was beautiful. The other bus company did not stop there, at least back then. :O) Also, how good it is will depend on the guide you get. We had some that were better than others.

6. Re: Grayline or City Sights better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2011, 05:17