We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Times Square at Bubba Gump

Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in Times Square at Bubba Gump

Can anyone please tell me what is the best restaurant /bar to be in in Times Square on New Years Eve? We're seriously considering being at Bubba Gump's for the view, but the tickets are over $500! Has anyone spent New Years at Bubba Gump's in Time Square? I would really like some reviews and feedback to see if it's worth the money at Bubba Gump's- what the view was like, the food, and if they had a great night etc

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in Times Square at Bubba Gump

Of course it is NOT worth the money that's why you will only see tourists there.

Should you do it ? That's up to you. Most of us somewhere in our lifetime have thrown away $1000 on something we shouldn't have done. Just note the locations of the people who in the next hour or so will tell you it was an incredible experience and the best night of their lives. Have fun.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in Times Square at Bubba Gump

You gotta be kidding me. Someone would actually pay $500 to be crammed into a mediocre restaurant, crowded with tourists who do not know better. (Shudder].

Look, I know that everyone has heard about Times Square, and it is an iconic way to usher in the New Year, but it is seriously not for everyone. The real action is out in the streets, but that said, it is cold, you are penned in, and there are no bathroom facilities. Plus, you have to get there early and stand around.

As you noted, there are various restaurants who use their location to lure in tourists with a view, but charge outrageous prices. Frankly, I can think of a better use for your money.

Consider New Years outside of Times Square. There are great fire works in both Central Park and in Prospect Park in Brooklyn. They don't cost you a dime. You are not penned in like cattle. And - it will likely be a much better experience.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in Times Square at Bubba Gump

ps there is no view at Bubba Gumps if you want to see the ball drop you have to go outside just before midnight and join the masses and then go back in. Did you really think you were going to have this window on the world and you would see everything ?

Jacksonville...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve in Times Square at Bubba Gump

My husband and I are flying in from Florida and we purchased tickets to the Bubba Gump event. I think the decision to buy is highly dependant upon the circumstances of your visit to Times Square on NYE. You didn't mention in your post how far you are traveling to the event (native New Yorker or tourist) and whether watching the ball drop on NYE is the sole purpose of your visit to NYC.

We decided to splurge for the tickets for the following reasons:

1) NYE in Times Square is one of the primary focal points of our trip 2) Since we are spending so much money already, we would hate for the entire event to be ruined by inclement weather and really don't want to stand out in the cold for several hours crowded in with a bunch of people with no access to food, drink, or restrooms 3) We have been to Bubba Gumps before and know that you have a great view of the heart of times square, I spoke with one of the sales agents at the restaurant and she informed me that they will be removing all of the tables from the windows to allow everybody equal access to the view 4) the venue allows the guests to go outside to watch the ball drop, however the ability to do so is not guaranteed because the end decision is up to the NYPD who will be handling the crowd control 5) the event offers appetizers and a buffet so we compared the cost of a full meal with appetizers and a main dish to the average cost of a meal for 2 in NYC 6) the event has an open premium bar and my husband and I both drink, we compared the cost of drinks for 2 over the course of 5 hours 7) Gratuity is 100% included 8) the event will have a DJ, raffles, and other activities to keep us busy, so we also considered what a club would charge for cover.

When we added it all up and figured that we could easily spend hundreds of dollars trying to have a good time AND be stuck out in the cold just to be a part of this once in a lifetime opportunity, we decided that it was well worth the money we were spending (and not much more than a night on the town including dinner, a bar, and a club would be) to avoid the risk of it literally raining on our parade.

HOWEVER - if I were a native New Yorker, lived within driving distance, or had a friend I could crash with in the city thus avoiding hotel fees - I would NEVER fork over that amount of cash just for a silly night in Times Square :-)

I know I did a lot of research before booking my tickets and information was hard to come by. It was a hard decision to make, so I hope my post helps you!

Jacksonville...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve in Times Square at Bubba Gump

I spoke with the sales department at Bubba Gumps and they did state that they would be removing all of the tables from the window viewing area. With the tables gone you can walk up to the window and look up to see the ball (last time we were there in May of 2009 we had the table at the corner of the building and were able to see the ball on the op of the building). Also, they only sell 250 tickets, so the venue will not be too crowded.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve in Times Square at Bubba Gump

I was messing about on the internet earlier this week, and found a standard bar in NYC that was $20 to get in plus you pay for your drinks, or $75 and an open bar, or $100 for a guaranteed table, and open bar etc etc....

So, for a bar to give me free booze, some appetizers and a table to see in the New Year, compared to some chain restaurant, charging 5 times that, I really really think you can do much better. If I were in NYC this New Years Eve, I know where I'd rather be.

M

New York
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve in Times Square at Bubba Gump

Don't you think that if in fact some others jump on board here and say that they HAVE done this before, and that it WAS the time of their lives, that we should just leave it at that? (...why is it necessary to imply that tourists don't know any better, if in fact they had a good time?) Sure, most NYCers wouldn't go to Bubba Gumps, but if some tourists get a thrill out of being in the thick of it all, and among other tourists, and they can afford it, who are we to chide them? ;-)

Jacksonville...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve in Times Square at Bubba Gump

I did find a post from some UK travelers who attended the event for the 2008/2009 NYE party. They did say that they had a great time, however I have not been able to find that post tonight - it was pretty well buried and I just happened to fall upon it when I was doing my initial research. I rationalized the fact that there aren't many reviews by figuring in the fact that they only sell 250 tix a year, so that would leave only 1000 attendees for the past 4 years who would be able to comment. I am taking my chances and will post back after all is said and done in hopes to provide information for next year's guinea pigs :-) I am staying optomistic and hoping for a great experience, wish us luck!!!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve in Times Square at Bubba Gump

Great location if you sit by the windows. Otherwise you are away from any sort of view.

Price is too high though no matter what. Food is nothing to write home about. Make sure to pack the pepto just in case you cannot handle fried food.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Eve in Times Square at Bubba Gump

FL Girl--- that justification is the same kind we all go through when trying to make a case for a dumb decision like we all make--- unfortunately there are a number of holes in it--- top of which is that locals get as far away from Times Square on that night---- only tourists and rookies go there. I am with the others though if that's what floats your boat just go for it but you can never really justify it with truth. Have fun and wave to us on TV.