We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using US prepaid SIM card - pt 2 !!

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Using US prepaid SIM card - pt 2 !!

Hi

I am travelling to NYC on Sunday from the UK.

I purchased a new prepaid T-mobile SIM off e-bay.

Tried to activate via t-mobile.com/shop/plans/activateprepaid.aspx , but didn't seem to work !

Which is the activation code - the one beneath the bar code ?

I'm going to be based in both NYC & Texas during a 10 day trip - do I just select "NYC" from State of desired service ?

If so, which area code & Zone do I select (from Area code & City nearest you) ?

I just selected NYC, the code for first hotel we're staying in (Harlem) then guessed a zone (searched on google for which zone it might be but failed miserably !).

After the page appeared to accept my selections, I pressed Activate Phone.

I then got a page saying I should receive a text - but didn't. However when I did insert the SIM card into my Nokia 5800XM, it announced I had a voice message. Clicked on it but nothing happened.

So I'm pretty confused. Is it straightforward to activate a US SIM card online from Europe ?

If I do get it activated, what's the cheapest way to get some data use for T-mobile ?

Many thanks (again)

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,100 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,929 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using US prepaid SIM card - pt 2 !!

From what I understand from the link you provided there is supposd to be a separate activation card that has the req info. What you should've done was to go to a t-mobile store buy a payg card which is probably cheaper and have them activate it for you. NYC cell area codes are 347 and 917

Enjoy!

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Using US prepaid SIM card - pt 2 !!

I have the activation card (it comes with SIM card embedded).

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Using US prepaid SIM card - pt 2 !!

Prepaid sim cards from T-Mobile do not have roaming, so don't see how you can activate the card in the UK

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,929 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using US prepaid SIM card - pt 2 !!

Look inside the packaging it's there somewhere.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using US prepaid SIM card - pt 2 !!

You can activate an AT&T card online, it is really simple, and easy to do

However, a t-mobile sim card I've never done. When I had one It was pre activated for me, with a 646 area code (and that number I still have today!)

My thoughts are, that if it says you should receive a text, then you should get that when you hit the US. Maybe try again at the hotel if it doesn't work when you land?

As has already been said, you will not get any signal, or text or calls on a USA Pre Pay Sim Card in the UK, as both T-Mobile and AT&T don't offer roaming

Edited: 01 December 2010, 16:13
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
380 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using US prepaid SIM card - pt 2 !!

I also activated my at &t sim in Australia online. I could not check till I landed in Lax on my way to NYC and it worked perfectly. I have bought a feature pack to use all the apps on my iphone.

I am glad I didnt get that t-moblie

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Using US prepaid SIM card - pt 2 !!

M4RKM I bought on eBay an At&T card, followed all your instructions to a tee (I'm in Sydney) put it in my phone, got no signal. I was about to ask you what I had done wrong when I read your post that they don't do global roaming!!

SO..

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for your help on this, you really are an asset to this board - especially for sad people like me who treat my iPhone has my fifth limb. I have two trips to the NY next year so will be keeping the number activated by following your instructions.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Using US prepaid SIM card - pt 2 !!

Hutais - did you buy the feature pack once you had landed in LAX or were you able to do it in Australia?

PS what does the feature pack do lol? I just know that I will need it :) :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
380 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using US prepaid SIM card - pt 2 !!

I got the feature pack here in the US and it allows me to use 100mb for $19.99 which was handy as we had no internet for 2 days until we had our cable connected. There is heaps of hotspots in NYC so you dont need it unless like me your best friend is gogglemaps ha ha ha or email a lot.

And yes I agree mark is an asset :) As like a few others are in here too :)

Edited: 01 December 2010, 21:13
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Using US prepaid SIM card - pt 2 !!

Hutais, firstly I have to say fancy having your cable connected in two days - clearly your not in Australia any more :)

One of the reasons why I want internet is googlemaps. I have many assets but a sense of direction is not one of them.

Are the hotspots AT&T ones or free ones? I had heard that Mc Donalds and Starbucks no longer have free hotspots??