We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Times Square, New Year's Eve 2010/11 : Who's going?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Times Square, New Year's Eve 2010/11 : Who's going?

Going to NYC to be on Times Square for New Year's Eve. I've read a lot about the experience, too late to back out now with air and hotel booked, DoubleTree SuitesTimes Square. What is not clear is what time does one really need to arrive to be in a "pen" on the Square? All I read is to get there early. How early is early?

Who else is planning to be there to experience this insane event?

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Times Square, New Year's Eve 2010/11 : Who's going?

I think your hotel has a pen for the guest in the hotel, and they will let you know the rules- you should call to double check because I'm just repeating what I saw that someone else reported.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Times Square, New Year's Eve 2010/11 : Who's going?

the closest ones to the ball will be filled by probably 1pm and then it goes back and later from there---- Once the police close off a given pen they just tell you to go to the next block.... on 2 avenues Broadway and 7th Avenue going from 44th to 59th streets there will be over 2 million people--- once in a pen if you leave for any reason you can not get back in.

Who's going---- lots of people from overseas and other states---- very very few locals. Insane is a good word for it.. I would say by 4 pm or 8 hours before the ball drop you will be far enough back that you will be watching it on a big Jumbotron screen--- good luck wave to us on TV.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Times Square, New Year's Eve 2010/11 : Who's going?

the closest ones to the ball will be filled by probably 1pm and then it goes back and later from there---- Once the police close off a given pen they just tell you to go to the next block.... on 2 avenues Broadway and 7th Avenue going from 44th to 59th streets there will be over 2 million people--- once in a pen if you leave for any reason you can not get back in.

Who's going---- lots of people from overseas and other states---- very very few locals. Insane is a good word for it.. I would say by 4 pm or 8 hours before the ball drop you will be far enough back that you will be watching it on a big Jumbotron screen--- good luck wave to us on TV.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Times Square, New Year's Eve 2010/11 : Who's going?

I went last year and got there at 3pm and was in pen next to the red steps. It was a long night and back was very sore at the end of it. Glad I did it but glad will not have to do it again. Heading to Central Park this year after eating a nice meal indoors hehe. Have a good night and enjoy!

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Times Square, New Year's Eve 2010/11 : Who's going?

Hola.

If you are committed to doing an outdoor thing on New Year’s Eve, then how about a bike ride? This is an annual event that starts at 10:30 PM at Washington Square Park, under the arch, to bike or skate to Belvedere Castle in Central Park (by 11:45 PM) for music, dance, and fireworks to ring in the New Year. Participants are encouraged to dress festive and bring their own food and drink for the after party. For more information see:

http://times-up.org/calendar/calendar.php

Bikes can be rented at many places in NYC such as:

Metro Bicycle: http://www.metrobicycles.com

Central Park Bikes: http://www.centralparkbicycleshop.com

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,743 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Times Square, New Year's Eve 2010/11 : Who's going?

You will have a blast i did the NYE thing 10 years in a row,but now i just watch it on tv from the warmth of my home.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Times Square, New Year's Eve 2010/11 : Who's going?

I don't understand why New Yorkers have such a problem with people wanting to come to their city to partake in NYE in time square.

I can definitly see how it is not the type of thing that appeals to everybody.

But it generates a significant amount of money for the tourism indusry in the city.

I highly doubt that hotel rooms would be as expensive as they are currently for NYE nights, or min stay requirements would be in place, if NYE in times square wasnt such an iconic event.

While I can certainly understand that this type of event is not for everybody, I think it is foolish to discourage people who want to come and participate

( i.e stimulate the economy)in this event.

If 1,00,000 people wanted to come to my city for event, paticulary for an event such as NYE where no additional facilities need to be built (unlike the PAN AM games that Toronto is prepping for right now), I would welcome them with open arms.

Katherine, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Times Square, New Year's Eve 2010/11 : Who's going?

As an Aussie tourist who has been planning NYE in New York for the past year, I welcome the advice from New Yorkers! I had my heart set on NYE in Times Square, but after reading the posts on this forum I have decided to change my plans (I'll probably end up in Central Park - but hey it's New York, anything is possible). Tourists rely on accurate info from the locals and the honest, to the point points given on this forum are fantastic.

See you in 24 days New York!!!!!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Times Square, New Year's Eve 2010/11 : Who's going?

People are just pointing out what NYE in TS is all a bout and I for one are grateful. I would never do it myself nor would I go to TGI or a similar place but I dont think I should tell people not to do the same if they want to. I simply physically could not stand for nearly 12 hrs without food and water, but go for it if thats what you want!!!

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Times Square, New Year's Eve 2010/11 : Who's going?

ddiggs185 - don't change your plans JUST because a few people say 'don't do it'.

Heck if what bimlin says over and over and over and over again on every thread about times sq at NYE, that a local wouldn't go anywhere near the place, how can many possibly say what its like! Surely the people to listen to is the ones who HAVE done it. What I often read from them is 'glad I did it once'.