We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I saw Spider-Man last night!

Level Contributor
408 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
I saw Spider-Man last night!

We took our 14 year old son to see Spider-Man last night. I'm not an expert by any means but here's my opinion:

Overall, it was entertaining. We knew what to expect (being a preview show) so I was happy we only had one stop during the 1st act and a rather long intermission. It was a solid 30 minutes. The visual effects were great. The flying was unique and some of the set design was really spectacular. Costumes were good, not great. The first act was definitely stronger than the second. I felt like it went downhill after intermission.

The four kids narrating the story added nothing but time...I felt like there were holes in the storyy and had I not seen the movie or had my son explain to me the story of Athena and Arachne that he read in school, I would have been confused. The story seemed like it was in 2 parts. The first act dealt with the Green Goblin storyline and the second jumped to Arachne. It didn't seem like there was any correlation between the two.

The music got a bit dreary towards the end and the story of the relationship between Peter & MJ was so superficial. I didn't care for Arachne either. In fact, the whole plot seemed too light. The acting / singing was adequate at best. Had they done away with the 4 kids and extra villians (who go no where) and really concentrated on the Spiderman / Green Goblin stroy I think it would have been better.

Granted I had high expectations knowing what Julie had done with the Lion King. I think the Lion King was far superior to Spider-Man across the board.

I will be curios to see how the actual opening differs from the version I saw. Hopefully, it will continue to improve ALOT. Otherwise I really can't see how it justifies $1 million / week or how it will be as popular with the critics as they need to continue!

Thanks again to all who helped me plan the evening with my family. We had a great time despite the slight let down.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
142 Reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,121 Reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,018 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,130 Reviews
from US$57.00*
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,004 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I saw Spider-Man last night!

Thanks for you review.

Level Contributor
2,858 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I saw Spider-Man last night!

taymor is in trouble

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I saw Spider-Man last night!

Yes- Thanks for letting us know - I hope it improves too.

Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I saw Spider-Man last night!

Thanks for your review

Unless it improves, we will be giving that a pass.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I saw Spider-Man last night!

The publicity about the glitch laden first performance doesn't seem to have hurt ticket sales. They actually skyrocketed the next day. Most December performances are already sold out and those that aren't only have a handful of tickets left. I hope it does well and everything is ironed out and improved. I won't be seeing it until the end of January.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I saw Spider-Man last night!

The performances for December were sold out quite a while back before even the first review of any kind was done. As for ticket sales jumping after the first preview, that is not correct. There is a demand but not as much as for other shows. As of right now the show will have a difficult time sustaining costs of 1 million dollars per week.

In reality if this show makes it to opening night will be a miracle on its own. Even the performers themselves said that they do not feel the show has what it takes to make it that far. The news is very grim for Spidey this time out. Its a big show with a lot of problems and this far from opening night it will be a tough thing to fix.

7. Re: I saw Spider-Man last night!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 05:21