We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping - NY or Philadelphia?

Aachen, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Shopping - NY or Philadelphia?

Hey there,

we'll have 2 days for NY sightseeing and shopping, so we can't quite decide whether to drive all the way to Phili. We are looking for outlet centers (we are used to shopping in California) and like to buy Billabong, Quiksilver and the likes.

Any recommendations are very much appreciated :-)

Thanks!

Style Room NYC Shopping Tour Experiences
Walking Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
The Strand Bookstore
Gift & Speciality Shops
Tiffany & Co.
Gift & Speciality Shops
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping - NY or Philadelphia?

Does it have to be an outlet?

What exactly are you looking for?

Aachen, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping - NY or Philadelphia?

We are from Germany and basically do our only shopping every year in the US. Usual stuff - shirts, sweaters, pants. As cheap as possible, don't care if it's last year's collection. Outlets usually care this stuff, while those high street stores mostly carry the more expensive new collections...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping - NY or Philadelphia?

there is absolutely plenty of good cheap shopping in NYC

There is a cost of around $45 per person to go to Woodbury Common, so you will have to think whether its worth it. Frankly I dont think so in my view.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,691 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping - NY or Philadelphia?

Woodbury Common is all high end stuff that is cheaper than if it was in the stores. I do not know if that fills the requirement of as cheap as possible. There are places to get less expensive quality at less expensive prices. Are you interested in high quality or what?

Aachen, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping - NY or Philadelphia?

Don't get me wrong, we don't want to have bootleg or counterfeit stuff.

As I said, we are mostly interested in those "surfer" brands, Quiksilver, Billabong, Volcom, ... - got some nice deals in California, e.g. 5-10$ for shirts, even jeans for 10$. But we wouldn't mind paying a bit more either, just not 90$ for the newest 2011 collection jeans ;-)

Thanks!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping - NY or Philadelphia?

dont worry no one was about to direct you to bootleg or counterfeit stuff!

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping - NY or Philadelphia?

If you mean King Of Prussia Mall you should first look about the brands you mentioned at this mall. Quicksilver comes up. I have not bothered to look up the others. Otherwise shopping in Philadelphia is not better. The city is worth a visit. When are you visiting?

Aachen, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping - NY or Philadelphia?

Arriving from San Juan on the 4th of January, departing for skiing late on the 5th. Departing home on the 7th.

Never been to NY - but having been to CA a few times, we are really used to all those big outlet malls which basically offer everything you want. Don't they have those in NY?

For which things exactly is PH worth a visit?

Thanks!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping - NY or Philadelphia?

NYC itself doesnt have outlet malls as the shopping in NYC is good anyway - there are outlets in NJ however.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping - NY or Philadelphia?

virginmedia.com/travel/…philadelphia.php.

Just a sample.