We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in new york - need help please

Level Contributor
768 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
first time in new york - need help please

My husband has just told me we are going to New York for my 30th birthday in February, It was going to be a surprise but he knows how much I LOVE organising holidays! This is my first time on this forum (I'm used to the Vegas one!) and I'm a bit lost. Can someone please help me figure out the "best" place to stay for a first-timer? I know that we cant be close to everywhere.

We would like to do usual touristy things - shopping, central park, statue of liberty, empire state building, shows... We are used to staying in nice hotels but know that for our budget, we probably won't get much luxury! Our dates are 16th - 23rd of February and would like to keep the hotel budget to €1000 or $1300 for the week, preferably less though!

Any help much appreciated. Thank you!

Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
Grand Central Market
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Flea & Street Markets
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time in new york - need help please

$160 a night before tax should be doable in Feb. I know one hotel in Brooklyn doing $89, but personally wouldn't recommend it for a first timer, so don't worry too much about the budget you've got.

Check out TravelZoo as some bargain rates are aviailable now for Feb, I think the four points soho has got some bargain rates on

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time in new york - need help please

FIrst of all, welcome to the NY Forum.

One week is a nice amount of time for a first visit - and will leave you wanting to come back for more. As for where to stay, much depends on what you like to do and who you are. Times Square is full of glitz and glitter, the Village and Soho have more of a funkier vibe, and the Upper West Side is just a nice neighborhood. The key is just to be near a subway. Get a weekly pass and the city is yours.

Everyone has a different top ten list, but the most popular things to do would include a tall building observatory, Broadway, museums, sports, shopping, Brooklyn Bridge walk, pizza, Central Park [even in Winter], Staten Island Ferry and the Statue of Liberty. But....take the time just to visit a nice neighborhood to walk around. The East or West Village, Brooklyn Heights/DUMBO, Park Slope, Jackson Heights and Williamsburg are all fun nabes to visit. Leave your guidebook behind and just wander and explore.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time in new york - need help please

The Distrikt gets great reviews both in the review section and in the forum and you can have a bit of luxury close to your price range-

Hilton Garden inn is also available in your price range and is in an o.k. location for a first time visit-

Also here is a list of must do's (many of the things already mentioned)-

Quick advice on food-

and a list of night life calanders to check closer to you dates-

Happy planning- have fun!

Edited: 05 December 2010, 23:27
Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Level Contributor
768 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time in new york - need help please

Thank you for your quick replies! I'll look into all that advice. I'm v excited bout the planning. I love the planning!

Level Contributor
5,540 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time in new york - need help please

I hope you guys have a great time in NYC! Be prepared for very cold weather. The wind goes through you like you're a picket fence. Recommend: long underwear; wool top to bottom; full-length coat.

Given your budget, I suggest The Newton Hotel. You can get a spacious room with a queen bed, good-sized closet, nice bathroom, microwave, mini frig, and a flat screen tv. The subway (buy a week's pass) is just a block away on Broadway, giving you access to the city and connections to the buroughs if you want to explore beyond Manhattan.

See a couple shows. Visit some of the sites. Walk thru Times Square at night. And be sure to spend as much time as possible outside the tourist areas. If you meet some locals, talk about what's going on in the world, or sports, music, art, travel, food - whatever connects you.

Have a great trip!

6. Re: first time in new york - need help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2011, 05:18