We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Itinerary - first draft!

UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYC Itinerary - first draft!

Hi There. I am leaving this weekend and have put together a very draft itinerary. I would appreciate any constructive feedback on changes that may make it more efficient, It is mine and my boyfriends first visit to NYC (even the US) so some big name attractions, shopping and shows are on the agenda.

We are staying in midtown.

Saturday:

7pm Arrive at hotel and freshen up

8pm - Head to Central Park South for a little night time Ice Skating.

9.30pm - Grab some dinner and drinks (somewhere informal, mexican preferably).

11.00pm - Stroll back to hotel taking in some holiday lights and the tree at Rockefeller.

Sunday

9am Breakfast (any suggestions for a spot with nice pancakes / waffles)

10.00am Shopping at Macys, forever 21 (times sq) sephora etc, and casual sightseeing (library and other landmarks in the vicinity) before dropping bags back to the hotel.

2.00pm Quick bite near Lunt-Fontaine theatre

3.00pm Addams family show

Arrive back at hotel around 6pm to freshen up for dinner.

8.30 Dinner at Peter Luger Brooklyn

10.30 Cab to entrance of Brooklyn Bridge, walk bridge back to manhattan. Cab back to hotel.

Mon

9.30am Breakfast near hotel (looking for yummy bagels), sightseeing, TKTS to pick up tickets for an afternoon show.

Lunch

3.00pm Afternoon show

6.00pm Walk around Chinatown, shopping, forbidden planet,

7.45pm Dinner at Ninja

10.00pm Empire state building skyride and observatory

Stroll back to hotel and relax there for the rest of the evening.

Tues

9.00AM booked trip to Liberty / Ellis with Pedestal access, grab a bite whilst on the visit

1.00pm Visit world trade center site and tour. Walk around local area, City Hall etc.

Approx 4pm Return to hotel to get ready for the evening

5.00 Top of the rock observatory

6.00pm Head somewhere for pre-theatre drinks (looking for nice cocktails)

7.00pm Phantom of the Opera

10.30pm Post theatre dinner (looking for somewhere romantic, preferably italian as birthday celebration)

Weds

9am Early shopping and lunch before heading out of NYC at 2pm. (I have a late check out booked).

So any feedback appreciated, especially on eating suggestions.

Thank you!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Itinerary - first draft!

There could be a very long line at the ice skating rink on a Saturday night. So, I'm not sure if a hour and half to do this is realistic. If you're looking for good Mexican food, try Toloache at 251 W 50th Street. Since you're staying in midtown, it won't be far from your hotel. Have a great trip. :O)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Itinerary - first draft!

You want suggestions for breakfast but havent said which hotel you are staying at or your hotel's address!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Itinerary - first draft!

You say diner reservations at Peter Luger at 8:30 (don't guarantee you actually get a table at 8:30 though) then take a cab at 10:30 to the Brooklyn Bridge and walk it. Hmmmmm ..... you don't say your travel dates ..... but you also say you're going ice skating so I guess this is in winter. First, you do realize that Peter Luger's is right at the foot of the Williamsburg Bridge ...... but that aside ..... personally, I would not want to walk across the B'kyln Bridge at 11:00 o'clock at night ..... on a Sunday night ..... in the dead of winter ..... "Brrrrrr". I'm sure that there are people that do it, but it just wouldn't be me.

I would have the cab wait for you a miute while you take pictures at Fulton's Landing (by the bridge) then take the taxi ride back into Manhattan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN-jNmzSTok

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Itinerary - first draft!

Lotus......they're leaving this weekend, and I agree with you, way too cold! I would not do it either. They plan on doing it this Sunday night. The temp is supposed to be about 31 degrees with a 40% chance of rain/snow. :O(

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC Itinerary - first draft!

I've just come back for MYC at the weekend, a couple of places i'd recommend for food is, Blockheads Buritos (for your Mexican) which is on 322 West 50th Street, between 8th and 9th ave. It's a small place but good atmosphere and they do pretty good margaritas! It is also by central park for when you are up that way.

Other place is the Stardust Diner, 1650 Broadway between 8th and 7th ave. They sing to you while you eat and is a really good laugh! They are basically singers trying too make it on broadway! go for breakfast or lunch, not dinner though.

Hope this helps!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC Itinerary - first draft!

My advice is to skip the skyride at the ESB. It's dumb, dumb, dumb and a waste of $$ on top of it. And if you were promised speedy security lines ... that's all you get is a speedy security line. You get the same ELEVATOR line (after security) as everybody else. The time spent in the skyride is probably equal to the time spent in the security line. And your less likely to get nauseous in the security line .. lol!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC Itinerary - first draft!

Okay .... so you're going to see Adams Family and then you're also going to see Phantom of the Opera .... but then you're also gonna go to the TKTS Discount Booth to get matinee tickets on Monday to another show too. Well you just shot a complete day in NYC with that plan. The discount booth only opens at 11:00 a.m. and the line can be long. By time you get your tickets you probably wont have much time to do anything outside of Times Square because you'll need to run over to the theater (also near Times Square) to see your matinee show. Your whole daylight hours on Monday will be nothing more than seeing your ..... THIRD ..... Broadway show in NYC and bumming around Times Square. Are you a theater buff or something, because I haven't seen three Broadway shows in the past three years? If it were me, I would skip this matinee and do something else in NYC like see the tree in Rockefeller Center, Central Park, the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn, Wall Street, Grand Central Terminal, Cloisters, SoHo, Greenwich Village, etc.

Hmmmm ..... and it's your first trip to NYC you say ..... ah ..... again ..... I'm sure there's people that see 3 shows in NYC in a 5 days ..... but it just wouldn't be me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moOamKxW844

Edited: 06 December 2010, 18:04
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC Itinerary - first draft!

I wouldn't do Ellen's like Funky Monkies suggested. Sorry, I just think the food there is really bad, but that's just my opinion. There are so many wonderful places to eat in NYC. I'd get out of the Times Square area. :O)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,037 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC Itinerary - first draft!

I agree that your plan for the night of arrival is optimistic re: the ice skating - Saturday night in the middle of the holiday season may be very busy at the rink. You can try to stick to your time line, but you should be flexible especially if you plan on booking a table for the restaurant you choose.

And - if you are bundled up and it is a clear cold night with little wind, the walk over the Brooklyn Bridge may be fine; I've done it. But, if it is windy - it will be a misery especially once you are smack dab over the river with nothing blocking the wind from hitting you. The wind is what makes the cold so unpleasant - so, that is another thing to probably leave flexible.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,116 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC Itinerary - first draft!

lotuspath and I could never travel together--when my DH and I go to NYC, we usually see 4 shows in 3 days: fly in Fri AM, see a show Fri evening, shows Sat matinee and evening, Sun matinee, fly home Sun eve.

I think balancing tickets you're bought ahead of time with one trip to TKTS is a good idea. Sometimes, www.broadwaybox.com has offers almost as good as TKTS, and you'll save time.