We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh no! Christmas Day dinner/lunch...

London
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oh no! Christmas Day dinner/lunch...

So. I've literally just realised we leave in two weeksto come to nyc and that I ought to book christmas day dinner...

And the few places I've checked (rockefeller cafe, murals, cibo) are completely booked (I guess I shoulda known...)

I realise I should have gotten to it before now but my days are such a whirlwind (three kids, one of whom (9months)still wakes me at least four times a night so throw exhausted into the mix!) that I just haven't gotten around to it.

In short, will I be able to find *anywhere* now?

We'd like something kinda 'traditional christmas dinner' and have a picky 13 year old to consider (and of course the baby) so high end out of the question (not that we'd be able to get a reservation at such short notice!)

I can't believe I've been so distracted by life that 've not done this yet - please help!

South London
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh no! Christmas Day dinner/lunch...

There are several threads on this already, as several Ny'ers have already explained, there isn't a availability of a 'traditional' xmas dinner. Traditional xmas dinner is chinese. Use the search box and see if anyone else had any luck.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,750 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh no! Christmas Day dinner/lunch...

I know that for some people Chinese food may be traditional but it is not traditional for many people.

You can go to opentable.com to see what restaurants have availability and then you can ask about specific restaurants here or do a search for reviews of any that are available and look like it suits what you are looking to have for dinner/lunch.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh no! Christmas Day dinner/lunch...

Hola.

When we are not cooking at home (or eating at someone else's table) we like to go for a traditional Christmas meal at Friend of The Farmer restaurant on Irving Place a few blocks south of Gramercy Park (the largest private park in the City). Comfort food at its best!

This year they will be serving a Christmas brunch in the late morning as well as a Christmas dinner later in the afternoon and night. You will probably need reservations as this place is a community favorite.

For contact information, see:

www.friendofafarmernyc.com/contact.html

Hope this helps.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

London
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh no! Christmas Day dinner/lunch...

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll try and work on it tonight but the baby is full of a nasty cold so my time onlne is very limited just now - he can't even nap very well because of all the snot!

In the words of Arnie, I'll be back ;)

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oh no! Christmas Day dinner/lunch...

I was thinking of Friend of a Farmer as well. Other family friendly places that have availability are Cupping Room, Cornelia Street Cafe, Knickerbocker Bar & Grill.

NYC & environs
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oh no! Christmas Day dinner/lunch...

thanks for the report of the baby's mucous condition!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oh no! Christmas Day dinner/lunch...

hi, have just returned from spending thanksgiving in nyc which most new yorkers will say is more important than christmas. Like you i left it to the last minute to make a booking on line and had no sucess, In hindsight i was more than glad not to have booked on line and in advance. Web sites may not take booking for traditional christmas lunches/dinners claiming that they are all fully booked. Well, on arrrival, we literally walked into a very good restaurant which on line had claimed to be fully booked.(isabellas UWS) So just keep checking the web site reviews and perhaps phone ahead on the day. Happy CHristmas and let us all on tripadvisor know how you get on.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oh no! Christmas Day dinner/lunch...

Hola.

Sorry to hear about the tots “snot”. Have you tried a humidifier or vaporizer or sitting with the baby in the bathroom while a hot shower runs?

Hope this helps.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oh no! Christmas Day dinner/lunch...

Traditional Xmas dinner is not Chinese!!!!! 99.9% of people who eat Chinese food on Christmas are not Christian, therefore they do NOT celebrate Christmas.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oh no! Christmas Day dinner/lunch...

Personally I feel like Rock Center Cafe offers a pretty good holiday meal they do take walk ins but there is a wait. Try to go in or call before and see what you can do. It is worth it, and it has a great view of the tree and Ice Skating rink in Rockefellar Center.

Here is a link to a list of some holiday offerings-

…about.com/od/christmasdinner/Christmas_Chri…

Edited: 10 December 2010, 04:18