We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

motels in nyc

Swayzee, Indiana
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
motels in nyc

Hi Everybody

I am going to nyc in may I need to chose between THE POD or HOTEL 17 Which one do u think Is better?

THANKS SO MUCH

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: motels in nyc

The Pod and they are Hotels not Motels--- Motels is a contraction for Motor Hotels (meaning you drive there) . If you are driving and will have a car there are other options.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: motels in nyc

In addition to what bilmin said, the rooms of motels are normally accessed directly from the outside, so you can park and walk straight into the room, while the rooms of hotels are accessed from interior corridors that you reach by passing the front desk and the lobby of the building.

There are almost no "motels", properly so called, in the city of New York.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,543 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: motels in nyc

Most of the rooms at the Pod are quite small and have shared bathroom facilities. Their rooms for 2 also tend to be bunkbeds. Will that suit you? It's quite early to be booking for May. How many are you, what's your budget and when are you visiting? Are you driving? Will you need parking? Are you willing to have a shared bathroom situation (assuming it's clean which the Pod is)??

Swayzee, Indiana
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: motels in nyc

I know that it is a shared bathroom I stayed at park 79 before I am not driving I was just woundering which one is better the pod or hotel 17 and which is in a better location for shopping and closer to subways and such.Staying at a place with a shared bathroom as long as it is CLEAN

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: motels in nyc

I'm wondering why you "need" to choose between these 2 places. Granted, May is not a time for bargain rates on Manhattan accommodations, but my hunch is that those are not the only 2 establishments that are within your budget range. If you give us some info (dates, are you traveling solo or with another/others, which airport will your flights be using?), we may be able to suggest some additional possibilities.

Swayzee, Indiana
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: motels in nyc

hi I am planninmg on going may 19-24 I will be by myself and on a budget for my room I would like to spend as little as possable on my room so I can go to shows and do a lot of shopping. I have been to nyc before and I know it can be very expansave As far as my room goes I just need a CLEAN place to sleep won.t be in room much I looked it up on expedia and the Hotel 17 with flt would run 750.00 and the pod would be 1047.00 I don't want to spend much more than that , and I have never stayed in those areas. Do u think that that is a good place to stay/? If I can stay at a nicer place withen this bidget for a hotel please let me know of a place

Swayzee, Indiana
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: motels in nyc

sorry I ment hotel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: motels in nyc

You could get a room with double/full bed, microwave, compact refrigerator and coffee maker -- and shared bath -- at the Milburn, on the Upper West Side, for $150.60/night (total with taxes = $881). This reservation requires no advance payment and can be canceled, without financial penalty, upon reasonable notice.

http://www.thehotelnewton.com

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d112039-…

A nice-sized studio (400-600 sq. ft) -- with full kitchen and *private* bath -- at Eastgate Tower, close to Grand Central Terminal, can be booked at $170.52/night, if you're willing to prepay in advance for a non-refundable reservation; it's the hotel's Our Promise Non-refundable rate. Total with taxes = $1005.87, cheaper than the Pod & a much better deal. The no-commitment (no advance payment/deposit required, can be canceled) rate is now $182.70 (with taxes, the total will be $1070), so you'd retain the ability to take advantage of any better deals that might come along.

I'm not seeing anything on Hotwire right now that is better, but that might very well change in the next 5 months. And if having kitchenette facilities doesn't matter to you & because you don't need a room that sleeps 3-4 people, you might fare well using the "blind bidding" Name Your Own Price on Priceline. But do spend some time on BetterBidding to familiarize yourself with Hotwire and Priceline before jumping into either of those (it's too early imo to try Priceline or Hotwire anyway).

http://www.betterbidding.com

Travelzoo and Travel Ticker are good 'net sources for promotional offers posted closer in time.

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/new-york/

www.travel-ticker.com/Destination/New_York

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,543 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: motels in nyc

I think there's no reason to have to share a bathroom at those prices for those dates. (I was not aware the Milburn has shared bathroom facilities but have been hearing not great reports about the hotel lately and it's not currently high on my list of recos).

There's a secret sale hotel on quikbook.com for your dates in Murray Hill (3.5*) that looks to me like the Roger Williams for $167/night plus tax. These sales require prepayment and aren't cancelable. That would come in between the prices you have for Hotel 17 & the Pod before taxes. (are those prices with taxes?)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d80110-R…

I think you could get a 4* hotel for those dates at around $120-160/night bidding on Priceline but probably not at this early date. If you want to book something cancelable now, go ahead but I wouldn't lock into anything this early. I think you can do much better.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: motels in nyc

Yikes, I typed Milburn in the first sentence of my previous post, but meant the Hotel Newton; thus, the links for the Newton. Sorry for the confusion.