We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark Transfer & Bryant Park

Inverness
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Newark Transfer & Bryant Park

I'd be very grateful for advice on a couple of queries.

Firstly, I have read the FAQ on Airport transfers but can someone advise about the likely traffic and transfer time. Our flight is scheduled to arrive about midday on Christmas Eve. I would prefer to get in by car or taxi but if it's likely to take an hour and a half, I might just try the train. We are staying at corner of 29th and Park Ave S. Two of us, reasonably fit 40 yr olds with a case each.

Secondly can anyone tell me if the Holiday Shops at Bryant Park are open on Christmas Day. We are having dinner at the Bryant Park Grill and I'm wondering whether it's worth going along a bit early to wander around. I know the skating rink is there. I've tried the website which just says the shops are there until Jan 2nd.

Thanks for any help offered.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark Transfer & Bryant Park

With the traffic in the tunnel, and people leaving work early, it could easily take an hour and a half in the early afternoon on Christmas Eve to go from EWR to the southern edge of Murray Hill. You are better off taking a train to Penn Station, and then a taxi across town -- and expect the taxi to crawl through traffic, too. If you wanted to do a public transportation alternative (although it sounds as if you don't), you could take the 1, 2 or 3 from Penn uptown one stop the Times Square, the 7 or the S across town to Grand Central, and then the 6 downtown to 28th Street and Park Avenue South. You might also find fewer crowds by taking the A, C or E downtonw to 14th Street, the L across town to Union Square, and the 6 uptown to 28th Street.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark Transfer & Bryant Park

Take the train route to Penn station and then a taxi to the hotel for sure. There is a good chance they will not be open on Christmas day but as you said you have until the 2nd to shop--- first concentrate on getting here you can always go back to Bryant park

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark Transfer & Bryant Park

Hola.

We have been told by the operator that the Bryant Park Holiday Market will be open on Christmas Day and it is at the (individual) vendors’ discretions to open their particular stalls and shops on that day….For more information, please see:

theholidayshopsatbryantpark.com/index.php

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX: Tomorrow’s expected highs: 96 degrees F.

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA: Tomorrow’s expected highs: 36 degrees F.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark Transfer & Bryant Park

I'd take a cab to Penn Station and then the NJ Transit train to the airport for $12.50 including the Airtrain.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,765 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark Transfer & Bryant Park

The OP is asking about getting in from Newark Airport. The train to Penn Station is definitely the best idea. You won't be all that far from the hotel. You can exit the station at 31st Street and 7th Avenue and your hotel is at 29th Street and Park Avenue. Park Avenue is the equivalent of Fourth Avenue. So you'll have two short (street) blocks and then several longer (avenue) blocks to your hotel. (It's actually four cross town blocks because Madison Avenue is between 5th and Park Avenues.)

Depending on the weather and how much you've got with you, you could walk. Alternatively, if it's an absolute zoo when you get out of the station I'd just head east and/or south a block or two and it should be less crowded (and perhaps easier to get a taxi.)

Edited: 17 December 2010, 22:08
Inverness
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark Transfer & Bryant Park

Many thanks for the tips.

7. Re: Newark Transfer & Bryant Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2011, 05:24