We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car to drive to woodbury common??????

uk
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car to drive to woodbury common??????

Hi,

I will be in NYC Xmas eve for a week. We want to visit Woodbury common outlet on the 29th.

There are 4 adults, and I have priced the coaches and trains and the price is around $90.

I have checked car rental prices and have found a rental for $40!

I have driven in the US before, in San Francisco, L.A, Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans but never NYC.

Do you think this will be worth it??

I enjoy driving in the USA and think this would be a god side trip to our vacation.

Any tips on, scenic route? Things to see? Place to stop for breakfast? etc....

Thank you!!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,327 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car to drive to woodbury common??????

Where did you find a rental for $40? Remember that to that you have to add the insurance costs, gas, tolls, etc. This will not be an enjoyable drive.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car to drive to woodbury common??????

where are you going to get a car rental in NYC for $40 that does not sound right. Tough to give you a route since most locals would tell you to shop in the city. It is rare for a NYC person to go to Woodbury. If you are looking at a car rental are you figuring in the insurance that is always an add on. Your price on the buses is way off too it is actually $45 per person so it would be $180 not $90. Please check your math before you decide.

uk
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car to drive to woodbury common??????

The price includes insurance. its on carrentals.com

Why? Is the drive that bad?:(

I was thinking, see a bit of NY state, see a few towns decked out for xmas and the homes lit up like only you Americans know how to! do a bit of shopping, get a bite to eat then drive back into the Big Apple!

or am I thinking along the wrong lines????

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car to drive to woodbury common??????

1) A bus will be more than $90 for 4 people.

2) I'm also skeptical about a $40 car rental for a car for 4 people that includes insurance. With what co. is the rental and where do you have to pick up the car and return it?

To my knowledge, there aren't any scenic routes to Woodbury but it make the trip a bit easier being able to come and go at your own pace and being able to store purchases in the car. I'd just make sure the car you're renting is big enough for the 4 of you and purchases and that the co. is reliable and in fact open when you need to pick up and drop off.

uk
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car to drive to woodbury common??????

Just checked the car rental and its $11 extra for the collision damage cover. Which is still only $51 in total. (I am only renting the car for 12 hours)

Prestige car rental through carrental.com and it is open for pick up and 24hr for drop offs.

You right about the coaches!! The cheapest is $35 pp!!!! £140 in total without tip!!! Surely its a better alternative to drive????

Maybe I am wrong but Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Edited: 17 December 2010, 19:43
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car to drive to woodbury common??????

I think if you're comfortable driving, go for it but I don't know Prestige car rental and their reviews sound DREADFUL.

yelp.com/biz/prestige-car-rental-new-york-2

Find something else. Try looking on

whizzcarrental.com

(NO relation to me ;l) They are a UK co. and should include insurance.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,327 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car to drive to woodbury common??????

When a company is so much cheaper than the normal rates, there's usually a reason. Have you ever heard the expression "you get what you pay for?"

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a car to drive to woodbury common??????

Please- do not rent from these people --- you will be sorry--- look at all the legitimate large rental companies and take the lowest if you must but I think you are making a major mistake going there anyway. I know this place is talked up big back home where you are but by the time you factor in all the time and costs of this you would be much better shopping in the city

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a car to drive to woodbury common??????

Rent from a reputable company and enjoy the day. You will be fine!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a car to drive to woodbury common??????

I did this about a month ago. I rented from Hertz at Union Square via AAA.com for $48 or so including taxes, but not including insurance. Pickup location is important - are you sure your no-name company is not making you pick it up at the airport? That would be inconvenient if you're staying in the city.

Liability insurance is mandatory. Collision waiver also helps. Some credit cards cover for some of it, but not always abroad. Check your card.

You can also take the train, though you don't have as much flexibility as the shuttle from the train doesn't run often.