We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How common is it?

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
How common is it?

On our return from Shannon Airport to JFK, we were surprised/pleased to go through U.S. customs/immigration in Ireland BEFORE boarding. Never had this experience before, and we were so happy to just pick up our bags and go once we arrived at JFK.

We've been traveling south out of DC area the last few years so this is completely new for us. Never flew from JFK.

My question is : How common is this? Does LHR have this? It's great!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How common is it?

It only happens at Shannon from what I gather.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How common is it?

"My question is : How common is this? Does LHR have this? It's great!"

Isn't it great? I was able to change my ongoing flight from JFK to the Washington area and avoid a 4 hour layover recently because of pre-clearance at Shannon. Saves a ton of time.

But pre-clearance facilities are rare. Canadian flights use them, and I think a couple of the islands like Bahamas maybe? But as far as Europe or the rest of the world it's just Shannon and Dublin.

Edited: Found the list of places on the Customs website:

cbp.gov/xp/…preclear_locations.xml

Edited: 18 December 2010, 13:00
3. Re: How common is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2011, 05:24