We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Over Labor Day...

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Over Labor Day...

We're [Mum, Dad and DD20] deciding on where to go on holiday next year, [end of August, beginning of Sept] and two places that really stand out our San Francisco [which we visited for 4 nights this July], and NYC [which we've been to twice].

What I was thinking was fly to SF first, get the longest leg of the trip over. Spend 7 nights -- we're thinking of maybe getting a holiday rental in the Castro area??

Then visit somewhere new, I was either thinking of flying to Chicago spend a few nights, then on to Niagara Falls [staying on the Canadian side], and finally NYC for 7 nights.

I can't remember the amount in $, but it's £100+ to fly to Chicago, then I think another £70 to Buffalo. Whereas it's less than £100 to fly from SF to Buffalo, even though it's furthur in distance. So I was thinking of cutting out Chicago, and going straight to Buffalo. I don't know if it's worth all the extra flight costs to visit Chicago for a few nights? What's the going rate for a flight from SF to Chicago?

Currently with the flights I'm looking at, we'd be in NYC over Labour Day, from the 2nd-9th Sept.

Any thoughts? Opinons?

Merry Christmas to All :D

New York, New York
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Over Labor Day...

Well, to be honest, to start, you've asked a question pertaining to SF in the New York forum. I would ask your question about a holiday rental in the Castro in the San Francisco forum.

Second, I'm not sure what the pound is worth these days. It helps get answers to your questions if you pose them using the currency with which the natives are familiar.

I would be very surprised if there were direct flights from SF to Buffalo. Are you sure about that? Buffalo is a minor city in comparison with SF, NYC, Chicago.

I would also ask questions pertaining to Chicago in the Chicago forum.

www.kayak.com will help you get a handle on flight costs.

I don't mean to sound snotty; we're just not travel agents for the U.S. Maybe if you narrow your questions a bit to the specific forums we may be better able to help.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Over Labor Day...

Thanks, I posted here a there isn't really a right forum to post this on, there's a road trip forum, or an air travel forum -- but that's people asking about airlines, planes etc... I was looking to see, if this plan it's do-able, too much etc... What's NYC like over labor day, what are hotel prices like?

I don't think the flight was non-stop from SFO to BUF, there was a stopover somewhere.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Over Labor Day...

Hotel Prices

Before Labor Day = Average

After Labor Day = Double The Cost!

I'm being honest. Hotel prices really shoot up in price after Labor Day.

Other than that, Multiply your UK prices by 1.5 to get a $ price. Check cheaper airlines like jetblue/southwest etc for internal US flights, or price it all up with a single carrier as a Multi City Trip, where you state dates, and airports for each leg of your journey, which might work out cheaper than booking a flight to the US and back home!

M

Edited: 26 December 2010, 11:13
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,440 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Over Labor Day...

Labor Day is only one day or a "long weekend". Sat-Sun-Mon. A lot of people head beach/lake/mountain areas for Labor Day weekend.

M4RKM is right about hotel prices.. Labor Day marks the "unnofficial end of summer" in the US. In the Northeast ... that used to mean that school kids returned to school a day or two after labor day (many return before L-Day now). It also means that after a lull, business is on the upswing and business travel is in full swing. Hotel prices go up.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Over Labor Day...

When would be the best time to come then? We're thinking of making in 6 nights in each of NYC & SF now, and 2-3nights Niagara Falls.

The two sets of dates we're thinking of coming are; 22-28 Aug or 1-6 Sept.

Which would be the better? We'd rather visit NYC at the end of the trip, i.e 1-6 Sept, but this makes it over Labor Day. I'm concerned about hotel prices, I'll be waiting for some deals to come out on Travel Zoo, which will be awhile.

Decisions? Decisions?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Over Labor Day...

Only one day of your second set of dates will be after Labor Day. That day will likely be more expensive, so it's up to you whether paying a higher hotel rate for one day will be a problem for you.

7. Re: Visiting Over Labor Day...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2011, 05:20