We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I get good corned beef sandwiches

Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I get good corned beef sandwiches

Could someone please give me some recommendations on restaurants that serve really good or are well known for their corned beef sandwiches. I've seen some restaurants that serve like a tower of corned beef in between 2 slices of bread.... I'm not after quantity, its the quality and the yum factor i'm after!

New York City
Level Contributor
126 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I get good corned beef sandwiches

Katz's - Corner of Houston and Ludlow on the Lower East Side is the place.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I get good corned beef sandwiches

Another vote for Katz's.

I also like The Second Avenue Deli, located now at 3rd Avenue and 33rd St.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,141 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I get good corned beef sandwiches

I second the Second Avenue Deli. While I prefer pastrami, my husband just loves their corned beef!

www.2ndavedeli.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I get good corned beef sandwiches

These sandwiches are huge and can easily be shared for 2 but the restaurant may charge a sharing fee if you eat it there. The Carnegie Deli in midtown is also known for their pastrami although many feel it's past it's prime.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,783 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I get good corned beef sandwiches

I love the corned beef at Katz's ... but it is hand-sliced so it is a bit thick. If you are looking for paper-thin slicer cut stuff, then this may not be what you are looking for.

Yes, sandwiches are huge at Katz's. They also sell something called a "meat platter" or "meat sampler" or something like that. It is a plate pile d high with a stack of corned beef, a stack of pastrami and a stack of brisket. It comes with rye bread (like 8 slices) and you build-your-own sandwiches. This along with beverages and pickles, an order of fries for the teen boy and one hotdog (cut in half o sharet) feeds my family of four. We are not light eaters and my skinny 14yo son is like a human vaccuum cleaner -- lol!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I get good corned beef sandwiches

Another vote for Katz's. It's the only place I take friends who are visiting! Just don't lose your ticket!! (You'll understand once you get there.)

And enjoy sitting at the same table where Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan shot the "Big O" scene from "When Harry Met Sally"! Yeah, it's kitchy.....but it's also one of those crazy NY things.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I get good corned beef sandwiches

Katz's Deli hands down. Second Ave Deli comes highly recommended by those who know. I'm eager to try it next visit. As others have said, the sandwich at Katz's is huge as well as delicious. The place is packed whenever I go in, if that matters.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I get good corned beef sandwiches

The pastrami and corned beef sandwiches do like good. I don't think i can finish one alone let only two! Do they sell half and half? Sounds like the place is always full, is it possible to get "to go" and have it in the park while I do some people watching.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,141 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I get good corned beef sandwiches

Well...if you look at the link I posted for the Second Avenue Deli, you will see that you can get a 1/2 sandwich and a soup. If there are 2 of you, get one of these combos with pastrami and the other with corned beef. FWIW, that's what we get when we go to the Second Avenue Deli. Every trip we've made to NYC since the late 70s, a meal at the Second Avenue Deli is always a must-do.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I get good corned beef sandwiches

Ok thanks. Is "to go" an option at these places?