We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If I have to walk back up Tenth Avenue from 17th Street to...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
678 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
If I have to walk back up Tenth Avenue from 17th Street to...

late at night, is it a dangerous walk back to 42nd Street or is it pretty safe with businesses and pedestrians? Thanks, Lucia

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: If I have to walk back up Tenth Avenue from 17th Street to...

I don't think it will be dangerous but it would be a long walk. Walk to Eighth Avenue and 14 Street subway stop. Take the L train 2 stops to Union Square and the take the number 4,5 or 6 train uptown to Grand Central/42 Street stop.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: If I have to walk back up Tenth Avenue from 17th Street to...

You want to walk up/down near the center of town as there are more people on these avenues. So, use Fifth, Broadway, Madison, Park. 10th Avenue, aside from being near the edge, is also interrupted by the Tunnel, so a pain to walk up.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If I have to walk back up Tenth Avenue from 17th Street to...

FYI, 20 street (N-S) blocks is approx 1 mile and 5 avenue (E-W) blocks is approx 1 mile.

Therefore, the distance between 17th and 42nd Street is about 1.5 miles. Then, the distance between Lexington Ave. (Grand Central) and 10th Ave. is about 1.6 miles, for a total of 3.1 miles, give or take.

You can verify on www.yahoo.maps.com or mapquest.com but I'm not going to bother. Go to www.hopstop.com for directions and distances.

If I were a tourist and didn't know the area, I'd take a cab, just for convenience's sake. If I had energy and time, I'd walk to 8th Avenue and 14th Street for the uptown A (express), C or E trains. I'd take that to 42nd Street/Times Square and then take the #7 train to Grand Central Terminal.

If you really want to walk and want populated streets, walk south to 14th St., go east to Union Square. I'd probably go as far east as 3rd Ave and then walk north to 42nd St. The 30's will be a little bit of a dead spot - not unsafe, just quiet and not as busy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If I have to walk back up Tenth Avenue from 17th Street to...

Thank you Ny10835, Iddev, and Queensboulevard.

I really don't want to wal but I'd like to be prepared just in case I can't find a taxi on Tenth Avenue at Midnight. Also, I appreciate all of the subway directions as well. Although, I would rather just take a cab. In addition, I bought a metro pass just in case. Which bus would a person have to take to get uptown to Grand Central? Do they run late?Although, I've never taken a city bus before and I'm afraid I'd goof up and get on a wrong bus. Lastly, if I cross over the two blocks to Eighth Avenue from 17th Street and 10th Avenue, will it be safe enough? Thanks. Lucia

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: If I have to walk back up Tenth Avenue from 17th Street to...

The schedules say that the busses do run late, but I would not rely on them. I'd walk up 10th Avenue and grab the first cab you see. You'll get one.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If I have to walk back up Tenth Avenue from 17th Street to...

Thanks Iddev! m

Lucia

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If I have to walk back up Tenth Avenue from 17th Street to...

Don't bother with buses because they run very, very infrequently late at night - sometimes only once or twice and hour. You should have no problem finding a taxi. Good for you for being intrepid!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If I have to walk back up Tenth Avenue from 17th Street to...

Well thanks everyone!

I found a cab and you were all right about the fare. It cost $10.00 plus tip to Tenth Avenue and on my return, I walked down 18th street to Ninthe Avenue and hailed a cab which stopped and picked me up. The ride back to Grand Central at about 7:30 P.M.cost only $7.90 plus tip . Once again, you guys are the best. Sincerely, Lucia