We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The almost no......trip report!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
The almost no......trip report!

Hi everyone! Just a quick review of our trip as you all have been so helpful in our planning.THANK YOU trip advisor folks!!!

Hotel check...broadway show tickets check....bus tickets check...restaurant reservations check...healthy family and approved days off from work check...only thing that could possible stop this trip is an act of nature. 22 inches of snow sunday into monday in NYC!!! Yikes...i knew the odds in December... alot of prepayed tickets with no refund policy.OK...I'm gettin this family there if I have to carry them there on my back LOL.Not quite.....Luckily we were able to get a later bus on Monday(2:10)and arrive at Port authority by 4:30.The streets and sidewalks of NYC a mess.Which thanks to warmer temps on tuesday became inches of slush and minimized sidewalk walking areas in what i assume is the most congested time of year!

We checked into Casablanca Hotel off of Times square and were off to 5 napkin burger for and early dinner before Elf. The restaurant was trendy...the food fast and delicious. Elf was adorable (teen girls love the movie). Back to the hotel,which by the way was immaculately clean ,centrally located for our events and very friendly. Would stay there again in a New York minute.

Tuesday,continental breakfast offered at Rick's cafe in the hotel very convenient and fresh.Off to Rockefeller Center for some sight seeing before the crowds. Pictures of the tree, rink, Saks windows etc. Then up to the Top of the Rock ..we had sunrise /sunset package.Right through the entry and up top in minutes. Spectacular views ..no crowds. We then spent some time in St.Patricks Cathedral.It was surreal.Afterwards shopping with the teens (anthropolgy,H&M,Forever 21 and Macys) We were having a large midday meal at Tony DI Napoli's as we were plannning cake and coffee after Wicked for my husband's birthday.Tony's was busy, noisy,festive but their chicken parm ,ceasar salad,vodka penne,and red sangria were flawless! Service at all the restaurants we ate were quick and effecient. By 4pm were back for sunset pictures at Top of the rock.This time it was looong lines and crowds.Yes,NYC is a late day crowd.Lights at night were worth the wait.We then attended Wicked at the Gershwin.Great show and nice theater!Back to Casablanca for birthday cake and bed.

Last day....Our kids wanted to go to Madame Taussads wax museum.OK...why not. We were pleasantly surprised...laughed alot at their poses with the wax figures.Cute 4d movie polar express showing there also. Took about 2 hours. We checked out of the hotel and they held our bags. We walked around Bryant park,looked at the shops,ice skated for an hour and took a tour of the New york Public library.What an awesome building.We had a late afternoon meal at John's at 44th st(great pizza) and back to Port authority to catch a bus!!! Thanks NYC...(other then wet feet) we have some incredible family memories.NYC at Christmas...off the bucket list :) Thanks again for all your help!!!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The almost no......trip report!

Great to hear this! Come back soon in better weather and Happy New Year!

I'm glad you visited the library - one of my favorite spaces.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The almost no......trip report!

Where were the Anthropology and Forever 21 stores? My girls would love to shop there!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,150 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The almost no......trip report!

Good for you for making it all work out fine despite the snow! Sound like you all had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The almost no......trip report!

Happy New Year and congrats on a successful visit! You survived the storm and lived to tell the tale. Thanks for the happy recap!

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The almost no......trip report!

Hola Trezoc. Good hear that you had a good trip. Come back soon!

Hola TennisChik.

H&M” and “Forever 21” have various location in NYC, but the two plus Macys all have stores near to each other around 34th Street and Sixth Avenue (AKA Avenue of the Americas). “Anthropolgie” too has various locations such as Rockefeller Plaza and at Fifth Avenue near 16th Street, but our favorite “Anthropolgie” is located in the Chelsea Market at the corner of 9th Avenue and West 15th Street.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX: Tomorrow’s expected highs: 98 degrees F.

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA: Tomorrow’s expected highs: 42 degrees F.

Edited: 01 January 2011, 19:35
Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The almost no......trip report!

Sounds like fun. Everybody likes Wicked.....and that Casablanca Hotel.

7. Re: The almost no......trip report!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2011, 06:31