We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMC Theaters for New Years Eve 2010 - Complete Rip Off

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
AMC Theaters for New Years Eve 2010 - Complete Rip Off

We purchased expensive tickets (over $700 per person) for the open premium bar, light buffet, reserved seats and guaranteed view of the ball on the Red Carpet patio. The view of the ball was great. It is from the side but you can see it clearly. This was the only good thing about this party. Everything else was a disaster.

At 8 pm when the doors opened, the line to get in was thousands of people long. Luckily we had a VIP line but it still took forever to get in.

To find your reserved seat, you were asked to go to every table and look for a placard with your name. There were probably a hundred tables. Hundreds of people were wandering around looking for their tables. Our table was in a small private room on the very top floor with about 20 tables.

In the room, they had a small buffet with turkey sandwiches, pasta salad and a few other things. The food was barely edible and definitely not enough for the people in the room. The buffet was gone before most people had arrived.

There was no bar in the room. We had to take an elevator to the lower floor and get in line at the open bar with the hundreds of people who bought the lowest price package. Each bar line was about 25 people long. Before midnight they ran out of champagne and all other alcohol except beer and vodka. The premium open bar was supposed to last from 9 pm to 2 am.

This was not just a disaster. It was a rip off. We complained but were told that there was nothing that could be done. Learn from our mistake - Do Not Waste Your Money on this Event.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AMC Theaters for New Years Eve 2010 - Complete Rip Off

I watched the ball drop from my comfy living room for free, no crowds to fight either.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AMC Theaters for New Years Eve 2010 - Complete Rip Off

I don't ever remember this being one of the locations that had anything-- it may be new this year--- thanks for the update... New Year's eve parties are strictly for rookies---- if they are anywhere near Times Square---- unfortunately despite your warning the place will be mobbed again next year if they do it. Sounds like they had some work to do

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,769 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AMC Theaters for New Years Eve 2010 - Complete Rip Off

Yes, I'm pretty sure AMC was new this year. We started getting lots of questions about it in the two weeks before New Year's. I'm sorry it was a bust for you, Steve. Thanks so much for writing a Trip Report to warn others. We'll keep it in mind when making recommendations next year.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AMC Theaters for New Years Eve 2010 - Complete Rip Off

It sounds more like the 'vip' experience was the rip off. Too bad really, I would pay a couple hundred for a private party and view if I was in town, but $700 seems heavy and the cheaper tickets might have been more worth it.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AMC Theaters for New Years Eve 2010 - Complete Rip Off

As I remember it the high price was to go out on a balcony and see the ball drop--- $500 for 60 seconds---- sounds like the old days of 42nd street and Times Square are back.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AMC Theaters for New Years Eve 2010 - Complete Rip Off

If the bar etc. was not opened the promised hours that is fraud. If it was open and just terrible--that is terrible and wrong. If it was fraud you may want to consider contacting the Consumer Affairs Department, the better business bureau or the NYC Public Advocates Office.

7. Re: AMC Theaters for New Years Eve 2010 - Complete Rip Off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 07:23