We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with a great 'local' restaurant?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel with a great 'local' restaurant?

Hi NY forum, I'm planning a few family / friends breaks in 2011, and wondered if there's any hotel ... with a great restaurant?

Anything from a trattoria to a place with a good 'east meets west fusion' menu?

We don't want anything like L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon at the Four Seasons; just somewhere where locals and visitors enjoy; a place for friends to relax and enjoy good food in a nice (by nice ...not stark...:) setting...not over the top price menus.

Obviously - we're open to suggestions for non hotel restaurants, but thought that it might be interesting to have a good inhouse restarant for a couple of nights.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks NY TA!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with a great 'local' restaurant?

Gilt at the Palace is very good - pretty expensive though by all accounts

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with a great 'local' restaurant?

Hi LMV, thanks for the suggestion of the Palace - know the place; but not the type of more casual affair that I am seeking on this ocassion!

Thanks and happy new year!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with a great 'local' restaurant?

Restaurants in hotels while some times good tend to be overpriced because they have a captive audience of guests who don't know any better .When traveling on business if I end up in a place I don't know I will often eat in the hotel especially in the suburbs where I would have to get into my car to go anywhere . In a city of 22,000 restaurants there is really no need to pay the extra hidden "hotel fee" that is common... just pick a hotel and then a neighborhood place like you describe and you will be much happier. No doubt you will be able to walk out the door and walk to your destination.

Edited: 10 January 2011, 13:26
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with a great 'local' restaurant?

Actually over the last 5 yrs or so restaurant dining in NYC has gotten better and better but it is often on the pricier side. Are you thinking of selecting a hotel that has a nice restaurant in it or are you looking for a meeting place restaurant that's in a hotel? A lot of the hotels with good restaurants are pricey hotels.

3 hotels I can think of that have a "neighborhood" sort of restaurant

> North Square at the Washington Square hotel.

wshotel.com

http://nymag.com/listings/bar/north_square/

The hotel is in an ideal location in Greenwich Village, but the hotel rooms are pretty spartan and the prices are overblown for what they offer (imo).

>the Breslin at the Ace Hotel

The Ace is very basic but has become a hip hangout.

www.yelp.com/biz/the-breslin-bar-new-york

>Saju Bistro is off the lobby of the Mela hotel near Times Square. Basic rooms at the Mela are VERY small but they have some larger ones with 2 beds or jr suites.

The Hotel on Rivington on the lower east side has a decent restaurant THOR.

Koi in the Bryant Park hotel is Asian fusion.

Locanda Verde in the Greenwich Hotel in Tribeca is one of the "it" restaurants in the city but the hotel is quite pricey.

Ca Va is getting very good reviews in the new Intercontinental Times Square

I don't have an up to date Zagat guide but they used to have a list of hotel restaurants. Unbelievably, I can't find one online so these are from memory.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with a great 'local' restaurant?

CaVa (by Todd English???) at the Intercontinental, seems to be very gourmet/upscale/trendy/expensive.

I am considering the Intercontinental because of the myriad of dining options within walking distance. Close to the offerings of restaurant-row... and right there with Carmine's, Johns, Shake Shack... etc.

I am a complete newbie here... and know absolutely nothing... But maybe some experts here can let us know if this is good recommendation.

Edited: 10 January 2011, 15:10
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with a great 'local' restaurant?

If what is a good reco? Intercontinental Times Square? Yes.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel with a great 'local' restaurant?

Plein Sud is in the lobby of The Smyth Tribeca.

http://www.pleinsudnyc.com/

It's run by Top Chef alum Ed Cotton. It got weak reviews in the summer, but seems to be improving. I've never been there.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/plein-sud-manhattan

FWIW, you can stay for less money at the "cheap and cheerful" Cosmopolitan Hotel across the street, and just go eat at Plein Sud. ;o)

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel with a great 'local' restaurant?

Thanks Bil; sound - there's a mix on this trip (I'll be there soon with my eldest son so will be back blighting the forum with questions) and the night might end earlier for some than others:)

Wishing - for what it's worth; I've built great itineries around Whiz's recos:)

Hi Whiz - I had a looong reply (with great thanks) which was lost as I went in and out of those restaurants sites....love the look of Locanda Verde and Koi...spot on! Prices are fine - I know Locanda Verde will be a crowd pleaser!

As always - many, many thanks!

Hey QB - Plein Sud; hadn't thought French - but again; that's the sort of place that would work - it's be down to those three (I'll check the hotels afterwards; thanks for the heads up on these to you both!)

Now - all I have to do is sit back and take the credit for all my hard research:0)

(Only joking - everyone knows the NY forum is my NY research ...bible!)

Thanks a million!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel with a great 'local' restaurant?

One of my fav's is Asiate in the Mandarin Oriental for the $24 2 course lunch. It's not exactly a neighborhood restaurant but wonderful view and very good food and drink.

6 Columbus hotel now has Blue Ribbon Sushi bar & Grill

thompsonhotels.com/hotels/…eat.aspx

Just be careful of their pod rooms which are TINY. Good for 1 person maybe with great deals on quikbook.com quite often.

I was at Kittichai the other night in 60 Thompson Hotel for drinks. Dark and sexy with comfy banquets and a delicious looking menu. They have a $20 prix fixe lunch that I'll try soon.

http://kittichairestaurant.com/index2.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel with a great 'local' restaurant?

A few other ideas:

Nice Matin in the Lucerne Hotel. Lucerne guests get a 15% discount at breakfast there, and the Upper West Side is chock-a-block with casual neighborhood restaurants.

http://www.nicematinnyc.com/

Gemma in the Bowery Hotel. Never been to Gemma, but DE moreFFmiles likes it, and the BH is, imo, maybe the best located hotel in NYC for eating and drinking, as it's where the Village, the East Village, the Lower East Side, and Soho run into one another.

http://www.theboweryhotel.com/dining.php

Maialino in the Gramercy Park Hotel. A good and very popular Italian place run by the most beloved and successful restaurateur in NYC:

http://www.maialinonyc.com/

The Standard Grill in the Standard Hotel. Very hip restaurant in an equally hip hotel:

http://www.thestandardgrill.com/

Millesime, in the Carlton Hotel (close to the Ace that Whiz mentioned), just got a positive review in the Times:

millesimerestaurant.com/Millesime/Home.html

Edited: 10 January 2011, 18:37