We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian food??

St. George, Utah
8 posts
Save Topic
Italian food??

So what if I don't want "red-sauce Italian"? Where would I find some great Alfredo?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,389 reviews
from US$36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian food??

Alfredo IS red sauce Italian. Red sauce Italian means the standard Italian American cuisine that was devised in this country by Italians primarily from northern Italy. Alfredo is part of that tradition.

Monte's has pasta "Alla Romana," which is the same thing. It's excellent.

montestrattorianyc.com/menu/menu_list_dinner…

Edited: 11 January 2011, 18:28
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian food??

I get it. You don't want tomato-based sauces.

Many locals call traditional, old-school places "red-sauce Italian," which means a place with red checkered tablecloths, Northern Italian-American dishes and at least one "nonna" in the kitchen.

The point is that the cream-based Alfredo sauce is typically part of the menu at "red-sauce Italian" restaurants.

Edited: 11 January 2011, 18:37
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian food??

P.S. I am NOT an expert on Italian food, so sorry if I used the wrong terms..

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italian food??

Lattanzi in the theater district

www.restaurantrownyc.com

St. George, Utah
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Italian food??

Oh! Ok, thanks guys. I read something that said Red sauce meant basically just lasagna, spaghetti, meatballs, etc. so I was a little confused I guess. Thanks!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italian food??

Just one correction to the above: "red sauce" Italian food is based on the foods of of the areas from which most Italian immigrants came, and that would be southern Italy (e.g., Naples, Calabria, Sicily), rather than northern Italy.

For Italian food outside the red sauce and pasta orbit, try Queen on Court Street in downtown Brooklyn.

http://www.queenrestaurant.com/

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,566 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italian food??

Lattanzi looks amazing!

But, interestingly enough, I do not see alfredo at all on their menu on their web-site???

Marinara, Clam/Seafood, wine, tomato, etc...

But, no alfredo.....

Edited: 11 January 2011, 19:40
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Italian food??

Eh, I think quite a lot of our Italian American influences come from Rome and Bologna, but I take your point. Queen does not serve Alfredo sauce, though.

Tony's DiNapoli does, as does Monte's.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italian food??

There's a good place on Lex at 55th called Sweet Basil - they have all sorts of pasta dishes.

Most people here avoid alfredo (heart attack waiting to happen) but you can still find it on menus

since Ive been told here I speak Italian like a southern Italian peasant (because I dont pronounce the "i" on the end of cannoli or the "o" at the end of proscuitto) - I tend to think we have more southern Italians - at least in North Jersey where I admit I grew up!

Edited: 11 January 2011, 20:16
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italian food??

Of course, if one is looking for the most "authentic" fettucine Alfredo in NYC, the place to go is (duh!) Alfredo's, which is the New York branch of the last restaurant in Rome operated by Alfredo di Lelio, who created the dish that is named for him, and which was opened by his son Alfredo. Note, though, that the original version does NOT contain cream or milk!.

http://www.alfredos.com/ny.html