We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycle hire in Central park

bolton,england
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Bicycle hire in Central park

Hi, Does anyone know the best place to hire bikes from in Central park. I have googled it, and there seems to be quite a few choices, I am going to NYC in May.

This is the first time I am visiting in the spring ( all other visits have been winter) and I am looking forward to seeing a bit more of the park.

Thanks

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicycle hire in Central park

There is a place right at the entrance near Columbus Circle--- be aware in much of the park you need to get off your bike and walk pushing your bike so the absolute best way to see the park is to walk. If you look at a map it can be divided up into sections built around specific things and getting from one side to the other is pretty easy . It is the North to south that gets tough and that can be divide up into a few days if you really want to see it.

bolton,england
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bicycle hire in Central park

Thanks for the speedy reply! I have been to the park on each visit, but wanted to explore further in the (hopefully) better weather. We are planning on spending the day there and having a picnic - thanks again

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bicycle hire in Central park

The road around Central Park is barely over six miles; you can do it in an hour. There are two hills. Many paths come off the road, but bikes aren't allowed to be ridden on them.

There are a dozen companies renting bikes around Central Park. Bike And Roll, on the north end of Columbus Circle--if a circle can have an end--is the only one that's a national chain.

Christian Farrell has been renting bikes on West 58th Street for years longer than everyone else. Email him at redpedicab@hotmail.com to reserve. He also organizes 2-hour bike tours of Central Park. He provides locks and helmets.

@tourguidestan on twitter

They also conduct 2-hour CP tours as well as simply renting bikes for you to wander with.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bicycle hire in Central park

Hola.

We can personally recommend two bike rental vendors in the City (and they have multiple locations). For more information see:

Central Park Bikes: http://www.centralparkbicycleshop.com

Metro Bicycle: http://www.metrobicycles.com

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,108 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bicycle hire in Central park

Who is 'we" --you are not talking for the forum, just yourself!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bicycle hire in Central park

I think Casa meant his family and/or friends as the reply said "we can personally recommend.." I don't think he was speaking for the forum.

I appreciate all of the replies as this is something my son really wants to do. Can someone expand on the areas of the park in which bikes are not permitted? It is true that I have never had a hard time getting around the park due to bike traffic. I am interested if there is a map showing the bike prohibited areas. Thanks, Moms

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bicycle hire in Central park

"Can someone expand on the areas of the park in which bikes are not permitted? It is true that I have never had a hard time getting around the park due to bike traffic. I am interested if there is a map showing the bike prohibited areas."

Bikes are prohibited in Central Park everywhere but the turquoise lines shown here, which are the vehicle traffic routes:

www.nycbikemaps.com/maps/manhattan-bike-map/

This has nothing to do with bike traffic, but rather that bikes aren't allowed on pedestrian paths- people will try to get away with it, but it's obnoxious, not welcome, and extremely dangerous for pedestrians.

bolton,england
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bicycle hire in Central park

Thanks everyone, i will keep investigatng from your links

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bicycle hire in Central park

Thanks Alice...very helpful information. Moms

10. Re: Bicycle hire in Central park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2012, 09:16