We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staybridge Suites OR The New Yorker ?

Scotland
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Staybridge Suites OR The New Yorker ?

Anyone want to give me some advice on whether to stay at The Staybridge Suites or The New Yorker then it would be much appreciated.

Staying 4 nights in December just me and my partner. Both late 20`s and can`t make our minds up.

Both options are around same price.

£702 for The New Yorker

£713 for Staybridge Suites

Both options seem to get good reviews although its now down to a comparison between two hotels its tougher to decide (room size, location etc)

So far I`ve got:

Staybridge:

Pros:

Location, Breakfast included, clean, friendly service,modern looking furnished rooms

Cons: Not on the best street, Breakfast room too small and busy, Lifts too slow and not enough

The New Yorker:

Pros:

Location, more of a hotel feel/atmosphere, well known from many people I know that have stayed / been to NYC.

Cons:

No breakfast included, rooms look bit dated / more traditional.

Anyone got anything to add comment on that might help our decision ?

Thanks in advance.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staybridge Suites OR The New Yorker ?

I think your list is pretty accurate with the following notes--- i would say that the location of the New Yorker is a con not a pro-- it is one of the ugliest areas of the city and i would not add any value to any place for breakfast because there are so many places to get cheap breakfasts in the city and hotel breakfasts for free tend to be pretty bland and boring. If you happen to get breakfast at a place you select and it is halfway decent then fine but don't use it as a criteria for selection of a hotel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staybridge Suites OR The New Yorker ?

I think you've got a very accurate picture of both hotels although I don't consider the location of the New Yorker a pro vs. Staybridge. In addition, Staybridge offers free drinks and hors d'oevres on Tues-Thurs. nights but your visit may not coincide with those nights.. I'd ask

>WHY are you looking to book now for next Dec.?

>Do these prices inlcude all taxes?

> Do these rates require prepaying?

>When in Dec. are you coming? These are not bargain rates so I'm assuming you're coming early Dec.

Scotland
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staybridge Suites OR The New Yorker ?

Thanks for the replies so far.

I honestly thought the New Yorker was in a good central location for getting around, but maybe I`ve picked that up wrong?

Apparently breakfast is pretty decent at Staybridge going by reviews, but its normally too busy for a seat.

My travel dates are: Arrive Thursday 8th December at lunchtime and depart Monday 12th December at 5pm.

The rates I`ve qouted include all taxes etc and also cashback via Quidco if you`ve heard of that.

I wasn`t sure if these rates are good or not but they seemed very good prices compared to other hotels I looked at for the above dates.

I thought booking just now would get me good rates to be honest although I know you can get some good last minute deals, but then your taking a chance on hotels and rooms available surely.

Any advice much appreciated.

Regards

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staybridge Suites OR The New Yorker ?

While most locals don't like the location of the New Yorker, most tourist seem to do...(me for one....). However, ratings and photo's suggest the Staybridge is nicer......although I agree with nywhiz....isn't it a bit early for booking December? Better not book anything that's not canceable....

Scotland
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staybridge Suites OR The New Yorker ?

I`m not too bothered if its early or not or whether its cancellable or not as I have Independent Travelller Travel Insurance through AXA which covers any mishaps really. This is different from normal travel insurance if you know what I mean.

I`m more interested in whether its a good deal or should I wait, or which one to book out the two, or any better options for that price range.???

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staybridge Suites OR The New Yorker ?

Well, that's the whole idea about booking canceable....trust nywhiz when she says it's not a great bargain.....book canceable, and you have a whole year to strike a good bargain....mind you, this hotel hunting is a bit addictive...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staybridge Suites OR The New Yorker ?

The New Yorker is across from Penn station and Madison Square Garden. Macy's is nearby. So yes, it's plenty convenient but as you probably know, the area around the train station in many cities is often not the nicest. The area is crowded, commercial and lacks any sort of neighborhood feeling or good moderately priced restaurants. While the block the Staybridge Suites is on is pretty unattractive, it's surrounded by good local restaurants in the area known as Hell's Kitchen along 8th, 9th & 10 aves.

As to whether it's a good deal....the dates you've picked are some of the priciest of the year in hotels since so many people want to be here at that time. I don't know that I'd expect many bargains though. By prepaying, you're giving them the use of your money for almost a year. I know it's a common thing in the UK but it's not necessary to do here. I notice the Distrikt hotel is the equivalent of 640 gbp for prepaid rate. It's on the same block as the Staybridge suites so not a better location but it's much more of a upscale hotel. You lose the free breakfast but you can buy a lot of b/f with 60-70gbp.

Scotland
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staybridge Suites OR The New Yorker ?

Got ya now. Never looked at the cancellation side of things from that perspective. Was thinking along the lines if I changed my mind in terms of couldn`t go or flights got cancelled etc.

So seems like I`m best waiting then if it can`t be cancelled. Any tips on how early/late I should leave it or what sort of price range I should be looking at for that time of year. ?

As said before, I do appreciate all help and advice.

Cheers

EDIT: Just seen above. Thanks for the comments nywhiz. Can I ask where you found the Distrikt for £640 ?

Edited: 12 January 2011, 18:05
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staybridge Suites OR The New Yorker ?

I used kayak.com and the rate was on the hotel's own website. I just used a conversion chart to change the $1008.88 which was the total including tax for a king room to British pound exquivalent. You can use

kayak.co.uk

and get the same price. There's a cheaper price for a queen bed. I don't know how the cash back works with quidco so don't know how much that's worth to you. I'm also not saying that the prices at these hotels will necessarily come down but merely that you're giving them the use of your money for a long time and might do as well if you waited to book. What you could do is book something cancelable now.

Scotland
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staybridge Suites OR The New Yorker ?

nywhiz....Smashing. Off for a look now.

I did look at the Distrikt and liked it along with the reviews I read on here but was coming in at over £850 any of the sites I looked at.

And I take on board the tip about booking somewhere that cancellation can be done.

Cheers.