We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrrrrrrgh!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Arrrrrrrgh!

My brain has gone blank.

My plan for NYC is kinda blank look - bit.ly/nyc2011

I'm in for 3 and a half days only, and have 2 museums, and a show at Mercury Lounge to go to.

Thursday Morning I'll trapse around the shops and do a bit of retail therapy, but I've got all day Tuesday, and Monday afternoon to fill.

Bear in mind Monday is my birthday, so I'll be in the bar commiserating that I don't look like my passport photo, as i'm THAT old now, but I don't want to get to the bar too early.

Weather permitting, I'll wander around the High Line again, but that's just one of those spur of the moment things, as is walking the Williamsburg Bridge

So, not off the beaten path ideas, I want obscure, alternative, really odd ideas, or am I really going to have to resort to things from zoomdoggle fun list I downloaded ??

M

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,913 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrrrrrrgh!

…trapezeschool.com/classes/schedule.php…

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrrrrrrgh!

I think you deserve a little TLC.

Since I had a day off from work yesterday, we went and got foot reflexology massages at Angel Feet in the West Village.

www.angelfeet.com/reflexology/index.php

It was AWESOME! Too bad we had to use our feet to walk to the subway to go home!

If you want a more "manly" place, how about Nickel Spa for Men?

http://nickelspanyc.com/

Or a proper shave?

http://trumans-nyc.com/

The Jewish Museum has a very interesting exhibit on Harry Houdini through March 27, 2011:

www.thejewishmuseum.org/exhibitions/houdini

There's also The Brain exhibit at the Natural History (but you need advance tix.)

http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/brain/

And, well...you know me...when all else fails, there's The Earth Room:

http://diacenter.org/sites/main/earthroom

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrrrrrrgh!

*and breathes again*

Now, me on a trapeze, that would be funny, at my height and build, it just wouldn't be a pretty sight.. nice idea though, and I think it's actually in the zoomdoggle fun list too!! (which isn't on their website any more, but I have my own copy)

QB - oooh, now that Harry Houdini exhibition does seem interesting, as does The Earth Room

Now I know I'll find random things to do, just by wandering around aimlessly, something I do well, and still don't seem to get lost either, weird huh?

Might just do "The Refresher" at Trumans, ready for my evening on the town after MoMA on my birthday - awesome idea there...

Edited: 18 January 2011, 19:43
4. Re: Arrrrrrrgh!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 September 2011, 03:30
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,286 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrrrrrrgh!

How would you like to thrill your friends when you get home with homemade NYC pizza? I know nothing about this place, but notice next to Doughnut Plant there is a pizza-making school.

What about Brooklyn? Queens? Im just scratching the surface - and I live here! Take the IKEA boat to Red Hook from the Wall Street Pier and walk around (if you head left out of the IKEA parking lot, its a short walk to the main drag - Van Brunt Street. I think Six Point Brewery allows guests on Saturdays, depending on time of year - or you can do the Brooklyn Brewery tour.

City Island has also long been on my must do lists - and I stil havent been there. Lots of great seafood places supposedly, in a little village that people dont believe could be near NYC - let alone part of it

DIA Beacon. Any interest in art?

day trip to the North Fork wineries (lots of companies offer this from NYC in limos, on the Hampton Jitney, etc)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrrrrrrgh!

Hooray! I noticed that the Queens Museum was on M4RKM's spreadsheet. (Yes, spreadsheet.)

Since you'll be in the borough, have you been to P.S. 1 in Long Island City? This interactive video game seems potentially awesome!

http://ps1.org/exhibitions/view/320

City Island is great, except that M4RKM is visitng in March. Too dreary.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrrrrrrgh!

QB - I wanted to do PS1, however, as i'm in town Monday - Thursday, the only day both Queens Museum, and PS1 are open is the Thursday, and I'm kinda limited on time, as I've gotta leave Manhattan at around 5pm for my 8pm flight. (I know what Delta Terminal at JFK is like, and it's right PIA, but 2 hours is more than enough there!!), Depends if I've done my "shopping" as to whether I get up to PS1 on the Thursday, I might be able to do that, because that video game thing seems perfectly geeky for me. And I get in free as I'm a MoMA member too!!

Lotus - Damn Right!

Evening - mmmmmmmm pizza. Done the BK brewery, and not in town on Saturday this time, so that's Six Point out of the question, but I'll remember that next time. I'm looking at DIA:Beacon - not something I've seen before suggested.

Thanks all... :)

M

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arrrrrrrgh!

These ideas are great, but some are not open when I'm in town. So much for the city that never sleeps.. ;) I land in town on Sunday evening, so that's easy to fill up with this easy to follow, 4 word itinerary: Hotel / Food / Beer / Bed

DIA Beacon again looks amazing, but the only day I could get up there is on the Monday, which would knock everything out of sync, especially as I've realised that MoMA PS1 is open on Monday so have added that, cos that computer game thing is just my kinda geeky thing. PS1 is also easy to get to from MoMA Manhattan. Then I could get the B62 bus down into WIlliamsburg and visit some bars for a few birthday beverages.

Tuesday seems to be the worst day for filling my day up with things. Maybe I'll get the ferry to IKEA then.. I've always wanted to buy a Skolm (made up IKEA Product there people, and if IKEA read this, It's my word)

See I like this. A plan is coming together in my head. A plan I rarely stick to, but my OCD just needs to be calmed with plans, and logic. I wouldn't wish my logical/analytical mind on anyone, because it really does suck at times.

M

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arrrrrrrgh!

Two words: Freedom Tunnel.

If that's more "alternative" than you are after, how about the just-reopened Museum of the Moving Image? Star Wars action figures, vintage arcade games, the shooting script for Citizen Kane, the giant sweater from Nightmare on Elm Street 4 -- all sorts of geekiness catered to.

http://www.movingimage.us/

As far as beer goes, Dogfish Head has been hosting beer dinners around town; the next one is in February, but you might check their site to see if they have anything for March. (And have you been to Dogfish Head yet? If not, maybe on your next trip when you can spare a day to get down there.)

I can't remember: are you into clubs at all? One of the big things lately has been these marathon RSVP-only pop-up dance parties. (Some friends went to a 30-hour one in Koreatown on NYE.)

As I'm sure you know, lots of the really cool stuff doesn't get planned so far in advance. For instance, I see an anthropomorphic mouse taxidermy class in a couple of weeks that I'm sure you'd love (who wouldn't?), but most of the artsy, eventsy stuff for March won't be posted until late February.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 22:18
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arrrrrrrgh!

Yay! Museum of the Moving Image is OPEN on TUESDAY.

And Freedom Tunnel. Now we're talking!