We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Renaissance Guesthouse, WEST 141 STREET , NEW YORK

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
New York Renaissance Guesthouse, WEST 141 STREET , NEW YORK

Hi

Does anyone know if this guesthouse exists and is not a scam. I've been unable to locate any reviews anywhere. The guesthouse is listed on laterooms.com - does this mean that it's legit? The photos look great and the price is reasonable.

Please guide me.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Renaissance Guesthouse, WEST 141 STREET , NEW YORK

whats the full address?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Renaissance Guesthouse, WEST 141 STREET , NEW YORK

C'Mon LMV, surely you're intelligent enough just to google it, and find out

Taken from LateRooms - 464 West 141 Street

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Renaissance Guesthouse, WEST 141 STREET , NEW YORK

If the OP wants advice, they should at least provide the full address!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Renaissance Guesthouse, WEST 141 STREET , NEW YORK

Sorry - I didn't realise that wasn't the full address. That's the only address given on laterooms.com and I can't find any online reviews.

laterooms.com/au/hotel-reservations/222058_t…

Edited: 26 January 2011, 08:25
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Renaissance Guesthouse, WEST 141 STREET , NEW YORK

Very interesting---with just a little sleuthing I found out that 464 W. 141st. Street is the address for "Mobile Woods Transport" which provides ambulance and rescue services.

Well......I suppose that this business and the guest house are housed in the same building.....?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Renaissance Guesthouse, WEST 141 STREET , NEW YORK

Thanks for your sleuthing - much appreciated. I think I'll steer clear of guesthouses and go straight for the hotels - but probably not in Manhattan because it's way beyond my budget.

I appreciate the time you've taken to respond.

Cheers

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Renaissance Guesthouse, WEST 141 STREET , NEW YORK

If you start a new thread requesting assistance with dates, number of people and budget, we're happy to help. If you're looking to stay outside Manhattan, give us the airport(s) you're using.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York Renaissance Guesthouse, WEST 141 STREET , NEW YORK

No scam. My wife and I just stayed here a week, as we're moving to NYC. It's a little disorganised (it's only been running as a guesthouse since September), but nicely decorated and offers everything it says it does. I've no idea what's up with the Mobile Woods Transport thing. The Guesthouse takes up the whole building (well, the owner lives in part of it, and she has a long-term tenant, but there's nothing I saw to do with ambulance and rescue services that the other poster mentioned). I'd recommend it as a place to stay. The only bad thing about it is a slight lack of organisation, as you might expect from someone who hasn't been running a guesthouse very long. But the price is excellent, it's all legit, and we had a good stay.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 21:36
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,635 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New York Renaissance Guesthouse, WEST 141 STREET , NEW YORK

Beware the first time poster singing the praises of a questionable business.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York Renaissance Guesthouse, WEST 141 STREET , NEW YORK

"Beware the first time poster singing the praises of a questionable business." This is good advice, but I am genuine, honest:)

I recently got a job in a university in uptown Manhattan, so my wife and I came over to find a flat. We stayed in the Renaissance Guesthouse for the first week we were here. I was also a little nervous that it might turn out to be a bit dodgy, but it was better than I'd expected. The biggest problem we had was the the owner was away when we arrived (her long-term tenants let us in), so our room wasn't made up. That was rather disappointing, and definitely loses marks. But she made up for it when she got back the next morning. As I say, it's a little disorganised, but then it's only been operating as a guesthouse since last September, judging by what she told us.