We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi -from Manhattan to airport

california
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taxi -from Manhattan to airport

Hi, we haven't book our hotel yet but will stay in Manhattan for sure. I heared that from JFK airport , we take tha taxi and pay a flat rate to go to our hotel in Manhattan. My question is what about taking the taxi from Manhattan to airport, is there still a flat rate fee? Thanks.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi -from Manhattan to airport

As a look at the first of the Frequently Asked Questions on this very page would have told you, and as simple research at the website of the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission would have confirmed, the flat taxi fare between JFK and all points in Manhattan applies in BOTH directions.

Edited: 28 January 2011, 05:34
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
759 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi -from Manhattan to airport

Just FYI, there are a number of car services that offer a cheaper fare from Manhattan to JFK, you just need to call in advance or book online. I've used "Dial 7 Car & Limousine Service" and was happy with them.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi -from Manhattan to airport

I agree using

dial7.com

for the return to JFK is a good idea. You'll pay no more than a taxi and you can have a car waiting for you at your hotel (or wherever you tell them to be) when you want to leave.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi -from Manhattan to airport

The general rule is taxi in and car service out--- while cabs are plentiful in Manhattan they may not cruise by whichever hotel you end up at... with a pre arranged car service (I also like dial 7) the car is waiting outside your hotel at an agreed upon time. Much more efficient and for about the same price.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,494 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi -from Manhattan to airport

I see no reason to take Dial7 from your hotel to JFK. Cheapest base rate (before tolls & tip) is now more expensive -- $48-53, depending on time of day --

http://www.dial7.com/transportation_rates_NY

and I have never had to wait for a cab for more than a few minutes, even when departing an Upper West Side hotel at 4:30 AM.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi -from Manhattan to airport

I am generally a fan of taking the JFK AirTrain / Long Island Rail Road to Penn Station but if you prefer a taxi, just make sure you proceed to the taxi rank where the uniformed dispatcher is positioned. Do not accept rides from people operating near the exit from the airport asking if you need a taxi. You may get ripped off. Just take a regular yellow taxi.

Flat fare is $45.00 plus toll and tip (and a $0.50 surcharge to support public transport).

It is sometimes difficult to get a taxi in Manhattan between 4:00PM and 5:00PM (shift change) so I might consider a prearranged sedan during that hour but otherwise I just get cabs - easier, generally more economical, no commitment...

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi -from Manhattan to airport

As said above, it is often difficult to impossible to get a taxi between 4 and 6 PM. And car services tend to sell out, so my advice is to book your return car shortly after you arrive. With most you won't have to leave a CC number, but if you plan to pay with CC just call them a few hours befor your pickup time and set up the credit card.

california
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi -from Manhattan to airport

Thanks everyone for the good advice,. We'll take taxi from JFK and use a car service to the airport for our return flight.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi -from Manhattan to airport

Here is a link for $4 discount that you can use with Dial7. Just mention it when you make the reservation and present it to the driver when you pay. I used them on our last trip and highly recommend them, too.

cityguideny.com/quickcoupon2.cfm?id=1136

10. Re: Taxi -from Manhattan to airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2012, 10:16