We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper West Side hotel

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Upper West Side hotel

For a visit to the city in May we are considering the Beacon, the Lucerne and On the Ave. Open to other suggestions.

Any personal experiences or preferences? I have read reviews and they sound similar. I am seeking comfort , cleanliness and neighborhood feel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,032 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper West Side hotel

They're all near each other so wouldn't consider any major location differences. The Beacon is an all suite hotel where all the rooms are like apartments with small kitchen. It's an old building but the rooms were renovated in 2009 so they look pretty fresh. The Lucerne is also an old building, rather quirky exterior architecture. The rooms have not been renovated that recently and smallest rooms there can be pretty small and dark but it's a nice hotel. They have a restaurant off the lobby of the hotel called Nice Matin. (The Beacon has no restaurant but there are dozens within a short walk).

On the Ave is another old building but was renovated to look like a hip/trendy hotel. Their cheapest rooms are also small. One nice benefit for a May visit is they have an open terrace for guests.

Who's traveling and what's important to you in a hotel?

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper West Side hotel

Myself and my partner are traveling. We are 60 ish. I grew up on CPW but haven't been to the city much in recent years, so just being in the neighborhood is most important. In a hotel we like comfort, space ( not luxury necessarily at all), good beds important.

won't eat in the hotel since the neighborhood offers so much .

From what you say it sounds like the Beacon, for space. None of the reviews address bed comfort, and that is so subjective anyway.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,032 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper West Side hotel

Have a look on

oyster.com

for lots of photos. I think all 3 are there. Do you also know the Excelsior across from AMNH?

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upper West Side hotel

Don't know the excelsior, will check it out. I spent so many hours at the amnh as a child that would be a fun location. Thanks

5. Re: Upper West Side hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 09:18