We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storm -- would you cancel?

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
96 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Storm -- would you cancel?

My daughter had a college visitation trip planned for this week. She was to arrive at JFK on Wednesday afternoon and visit schools in Manhattan and Long Island for Thurs/Friday. A friend who works for an airline said the flights from here (L.A.) to Chicago are already cancelled for that day because of the next storm, and I know what chaos that can start. I'm thinking it's time to cancel. Over-reaction or reasonable? If the storm is big, assuming no airline problems, will it be possible to be out and around on those days? Obviously just looking for educated guesses, not crystal balls. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Storm -- would you cancel?

There is no need for your daughter to cancel her trip becuase of the storm, if she can get to NY. I was there over Christmas when the last big blizzard happened. I got around fine - the subways were still running, taxis and some buses were still running. The City is good at clearing the snow, so the sidewalks on the main thoroughfares were shoveled and salted.

I don't know if the schools will be open - depending on the amunt of snow, they could have snow days.

Some of the locals on the list will probably be able to give you more advice on the snow falls forecast for later this week.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Storm -- would you cancel?

Right now it looks like a Tuesday Wednesday event. The only tricky part will be getting in on Wednesday --- it is supposed to be an ice storm which can cause havoc at the airports---- if she can get in Thursday and Friday should be ok for Manhattan but where is she going on Long Island and how is she getting there ?

If she is a California surfer girl this will be a good test as to whether she can

take the Northeast winters.

Edited: 01 February 2011, 03:11
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Storm -- would you cancel?

I agree to give it a try. It will give her a taste in NY winter weather, transportation hassles, etc.

Yes, not only is the weather unpredictable, so is transportation. Often the Long Island RR, a main form of transportation here, is a mess, it changes line form line, you never know. Driving on suburban roads can be a mess, too, but maybe not.

Manhattan itself is usually fine. The cars and busses on the streets usually mash down any snow, and clean up is fairly good.

Airports can close easily, then open quickly, who knows? They do err on the side of safety, which is a good thing.

This year has been crazy for weather but that is often the case in winter anyway. Part of our charm I guess.

texas
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Storm -- would you cancel?

When we flew out of NYC for our trip home a few weeks ago, it was teh day before the second big storm hit. We were on tarmac,and pilot says that Chicago has issued a ground stop and we will be updated at noon. It was 1045. About 10 minutes later he comes on and says make sure your seatbelts are fastened because we are going. So it changes constantly. I would just make sure she has maybe a pillow with her and a small bag with stuff she needs just in case she has to sleep in airport.

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Storm -- would you cancel?

This trip is to help her decide something that will affect her whole, and I mean whole, future. It is not a pleasure trip, even though it will be fun and exciting.

IMO, take no chances. Natives know how to navigate in the snow, but your daughter may not find it so easy the first time. When she comes back here to school she can become a professional snow traveler. Also,if you postpone, can you get a nonstop flight and not even deal with O'Hare which I avoid as much as possible?

6. Re: Storm -- would you cancel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 February 2011, 04:05
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,494 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Storm -- would you cancel?

Folks, we're not talking about a storm limited to the NYC metro area. As of 6 PM this evening, the airlines had canceled more than 3000 flights throughout the country scheduled to depart tomorrow and Wednesday -- including 40 flights out of Orlando, Florida, where no major weather problems are in the forecast. The already unstable situation for travelers will worsen dramatically as the wintry furies are unleashed upon cities with major airports such as Chicago, St, Louis and NYC. To say nothing of the severe thunderstorms, including wind blasts of more than 60 mph and a very real likelihood of tornadoes, in the South Central states of Texas, Louisiana and Alabama.

I predict the decision will soon be made for you. But even if you've not received an e-mail, text, or phone message as of tomorrow morning with the news that her flight(s) have been scrubbed, why not cancel the trip and reschedule the campus visits? Is there a downside to doing so that I'm not envisioning?

Edited: 01 February 2011, 05:00
Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Storm -- would you cancel?

We were in NYC this past December for the snow storm that hit on the 26th. While we had no problems as we were already in NYC and not traveling, my sister, who was in Florida scheduled to fly home via JFK, was delayed 3 days.

Being in the City is one thing. Traveling mid-storm is another.

As others have said, I think the airlines will make the decision for you.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,390 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Storm -- would you cancel?

Don't be ridiculous, CC - if it doesn't happen in the NYC metro area, it doesn't really happen. Right? :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Storm -- would you cancel?

I don't think it's a good idea to cancel, but there are some issues that come into play:

--Was she planning to drive to Long Island? People not used to driving in the snow probably shouldn't get their first experiences on unfamiliar roads.

--Are the schools she's planning to visit likely to be open? She might want to call ahead. Some universities rarely close but others do close for storms.

--Obviously the airlines are apt to have some delays/cancellations during storms.As others have said, this might affect her trip.

Those are the issues I see.