We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodbury Outlets worth is or not by locals

australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Woodbury Outlets worth is or not by locals

Hi Guys ,

We are going to be in NYC for 5 nights but only 4 days of sight seeing as we dont fly in to 10pm so loose one day.

My question is is woodbury outlets worth it to see? We are from australia and the dollar is very good at the moment so want to buy a new wardrobe :)

However not sure if we can do all out shopping on 5th Ave and times square.

This is what our days look like

Day 1 Look around times sqaure , 5th ave , central park

Day 2 Woodbury

Day 3 Statue of Liberty (crown tickets purchased) then maybe head back to times square via wall street

Day 4 Rockerfeller and other site

Day 5 fly to orlando

I like the idea of woodbury as its a designer outlet however is it worth loosing a day and paying nearly $100 on bus to get there.

I wanted to maybe buy a pair of chanel sunglasses and juicy trackys not sure what else will be that cheap there

Any infor would be great :)

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodbury Outlets worth is or not by locals

Since you asked what locals think, for my part I have never been to Woodbury, and the only person I know who has been there was a former co-worker who lived in northern Westchester. Most New York City residents live in Brooklyn or Queens, and from here it is just too much trouble to go up to Woodbury to shop.

When I tell my friends who know that I post here that foreign tourists are continually asking about Woodbury Common, and want to make it a chief destination, they are astonished.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
7,887 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodbury Outlets worth is or not by locals

You can certainly buy your Chanel glasses in Manhattan and I'm not sure what you mean by "trackys." If you mean the track suits that Juicy Couture puts out, I know for sure that they are sold at Bloomingdale's (60th St. between Lexington & 3rd Ave.; the store takes up a whole city block).

You are coming from very far away. You have only 4 days. It would be a shame to spend a whole day going to Woodbury. Will you ever be back to NYC again? There is so much shopping in NYC that it will astonish you. Just taking a walk from 5th Ave./59th St. to 42nd St. could provide enough shopping for a week or more. Then there is shopping all along 34th St. for three blocks (including Macy's). Then you have Soho....East 9th St....No one has shopping like our city.

I do believe you'll regret it if you take a day to go outside NYC like that. Woodbury or Short Hills trips are not for 1st timers, IMO.

And PS. Who told you there was shopping in TS? Uggg! Tourist Trap City. Don't spend more than 20 min. shopping there (for your NYC yellow taxi bank, mug, or T-shirt).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodbury Outlets worth is or not by locals

trackies= tracksuit!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodbury Outlets worth is or not by locals

Jersey gardens mall is another easier option ,

it is a discount ( DFO) style mall with all big name brands , timberland, nike, addidas, footlocker, victorias secret etc.

it only a 20 min bus trip and cost about $11 round trip , from the port authority building in manhattan. it has a regular bus route to it so you don't have to spend a full day there, hubby and i did a trip out there at 5pm and came back on the last bus ( about 9.30)

The saving you make shopping at Woodbury are eaten up with the cost of the bus trip and it is ussually an all day trip ... time you could be spending better in Manhattan.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woodbury Outlets worth is or not by locals

It looks like you'll be visiting Orlando after your stop on New York. I would save any outlet shopping for when you get there - there are several large designer outlet malls which if you're staying in any of the typical tourist areas around Orlando will be easy to get to.

I would definately not give up a day in NYC to go outlet shopping - in my experience (not of Woodbury specifically but many others in the US) they tend to be a pretty hit and miss in terms of real bargains and it's a long trek out there not to end up buying anything.

6. Re: Woodbury Outlets worth is or not by locals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 April 2011, 08:27
Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Woodbury Outlets worth is or not by locals

I went to Woodbury Commons last month (twice!). Never been before.

But, firstly let me say, I wasn't going from the city. My other half lives 2 miles from the place now, so that's why I went, be rude not to check it out being so close.

I'm not a big shopper, but heck I was impressed! I loved the layout of the place - all being separate stores, much nicer then being inside a mall. And yep, I was impressed with the choice of stores, and the cost.

Would I go from the city? Personally no, and certainly not on a first (or probably even 2nd), trip to NYC. But as I said, I ain't a big shopper, and am really not into designer gear!

But as a place, I was impressed with it, it was a pleasant shopping experience actually, place is well laid out and there is a LOT of stores there to check out.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Woodbury Outlets worth is or not by locals

IMO....definitely NOT worth it, especially because it means losing a day in NYC. I live in the Hudson Valley and have been to Woodbury twice. Frankly, it was MOBBED, required a ridiculous amount of walking (and pity those poor people schlepping loads of bags...ugh), and after both trips, I walked home with one measly purchase. Have never been impressed with the place, and think it's a tourist trap. I've always found better sales in NYC itself, and definitely a better selection. Remember, Woodbury is an outlet, so most of the stores stock items that are last season, or that never sold because people didn't like them. Just my opinion.......

9. Re: Woodbury Outlets worth is or not by locals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 February 2011, 13:05
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Woodbury Outlets worth is or not by locals

How long have you in Orlando? There are Premium Outlets in Orlando (same company as Woodbury) which have a great selection of shops that might be worth checking out if you have more days there than you have in New York.

Also, if you are on internal flights, you should check your weight allowance. It might save you to buy in Orlando and you get to spend an extra day around the City rather than out of it shopping.