We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

212 Suites NYC

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
212 Suites NYC

We rented their "Mansion", 4br on Lexington Ave. It is a three story walk-up above a nail salon with all the smells. Unit is dirty; washer and dryer were broken, internet was inoperative, no fixtures had all the required bulbs, were were exposed, couch ripped. Hardly a mansion. THeir answer: we are cheaper than a hotel, live with the problems. What a scam.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 212 Suites NYC

They should have said.

We're an illegal apartment, you have no morals by breaking the law, so you get what you're given, we are cheaper than a hotel, live with the problems.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 212 Suites NYC

I am curious as to why you constantly reply to vacation apartment rentals this way. We have rented apartments before with some success. Are you just a hotel industry shill?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 212 Suites NYC

Read the top question re apt rentals in NYC

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 212 Suites NYC

I work as a Print Solutions Analyst. Nothing to do with the hotel industry.

Thanks for taking an interest in my personal life though.

5. Re: 212 Suites NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 May 2011, 23:05
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,158 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 212 Suites NYC

Why do you assume that someone who points out that the rental laws in New York are not the same as everywhere else must be a hotel industry shill?

Many of us took a lot of time to put together an article for the FAQs to prevent what happened to you from happening to tourists.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
7. Re: 212 Suites NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 May 2011, 01:35
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,091 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 212 Suites NYC

The laws are different in New York city than in most other cities in the US and Europe. If you were looking to rent a vacation apartment in Boston, nobody would try to stop you. If you rent illegally in New York City you really have little to no recourse if things go wrong.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3194551…

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Boston
Boston
New York
East Sussex
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 212 Suites NYC

212 suites isn't a scam but it is a major rip-off. Interestingly Tripadvisor is still showing a number of apartments from this crooked company as 'Trusted lets'

I posted about our appalling experience with this company on another Tripadvisor forum forum and the entire discussion was taken down - objectivity? Hmmm!

Edited: 28 August 2011, 14:17
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 212 Suites NYC

Most people rent legal hotels. I have no sympathy for those who try to scam their way through life getting burned by their behavior. And no, I don't work for a hotel, I am also not a guy pushing 60 who is still trying to get illegal deals in life to save a few bucks.